Nearly perfect for me, but..

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
kraileth

Re: Nearly perfect for me, but..

Post by kraileth »

Hi amtrakuk,

we're having a little "chicken and egg" problem here: FreeBSD is an excellent server operating system! When it comes to the desktop, it's admittedly lacking behind quite a bit. We're trying to improve things in this regard. There's TrueOS (formerly PC-BSD) which aims at providing a modern but clean and simple desktop to people who like the Qt framework. And we at GhostBSD are into creating an elegant and comfortable desktop for those who prefer the GTK+ experience.

We have a great and healthy user community, however development is mostly done by a single (!) person. The project is making progress but it's pretty obvious that manpower is the problem why it's not possible to move forward more quickly. If GhostBSD had more working features - like bluetooth support - probably more people would join in. However we do require more developers to implement things like bluetooth in the first place... That's the problem.

For now our user base is probably limited to people who either have no very high demands when it comes to more special things or who are already convinced that they want a BSD-driven desktop and are willing to sacrifice some functionality (or explore how to work around it). If you have special needs that are hard requirements... well, that makes it complicated right now, I'm afraid.

What you could try is explore if passing through bluetooth to a VM is possible with a hypervisor like e.g. Virtualbox. That would be a bit inconvenient, yes, but could actually do what you need. I don't have any bluetooth devices myself and I'm not using Skype, so I cannot really help you with these problems.
amtrakuk

Post by amtrakuk »

I tried that,,, Although the phone was in Mass storage mode it didn't show up in Thunar ;(
Jes

Post by Jes »

Skype 4.3 is able to run in GhostBSD 10.3. I don't use skype, only once for a couple of tests and it worked.

Packages installed in my system:

linux-skype_oss_wrapper-0.1.1 Partial PulseAudio API implementation using OSS backend
skype4-4.3.0.37_5,1 P2P VoIP software

I've just checked again and it's still working, cam and sound tests ok.

BR

Jes
amtrakuk

Post by amtrakuk »

no probs.... i can work around the problem ;)
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Skype works but the version in ports might get deprecated soon.
amtrakuk

Post by amtrakuk »

Thanks for all the posts. I have a good feeling about the BSD projects. I have and used to run a Free BSD server (7.0) I think it was and was smiling from ear to eat, why? Because unlike Linux distributions although useful I'm finding it's all a bit political over nothing - they all get from A to B just with a different name
However I find BSD like LEGO - you have to build your BSD project and of course learn whilst your doing it. I've head a play with MATE edition which is looking really good. Keep up the good work. I wish I had the time and knowledge in how to make the LEGO bricks rather thank just know how to stick them together :)
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

amtrakuk wrote:I wish I had the time and knowledge in how to make the LEGO bricks rather thank just know how to stick them together :)
Believe it or not: Even Eric who has founded the project started with pretty much no prior knowledge. He had an idea and stuck with it for years. GhostBSD is the result of his devotion to this idea and the dedication of some free time from others. ASX joined in when he was rather new to BSD and still learning a lot. Both NevilleGoddard and I joined without knowing exactly what we could do other than writing a little documentation and doing a little community work - and we're both learning a lot of new things.

In other words: GhostBSD is extremely newbie-friendly (as long as they are interested in learning rather than have other people do what they want). If you decide to stick with it it may well "suck you in"! :mrgreen: Oh, and we all suffer from a massive lack of time and would like to do more if we could. That's not an excuse! :P ;)

BTW: In large parts we're also just assembling bricks - there are a couple of programs developed by Eric, but in the big picture we're consuming upstream projects like FreeBSD, MATE, Xfce, etc. and try to put them together nicely. And when there's a feeling of a certain block missing, developing our own replacement (or enough glue) is something we discuss (and would probably do more often if there were more able hands with the team). But how do they say? Every little bit helps - and while we try to make GhostBSD progress, we also get valuable experience.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Kraileth you forgot the part that all that time I have passed on GhostBSD got me a job at iXsystems. Not to forget I have not finished High School.

And yes there is always room for new people!