Nearly perfect for me, but..

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
amtrakuk

Nearly perfect for me, but..

Post by amtrakuk »

Hi there.

I'm gravitating more and more to GhostBSD after some time with Linux but the likes of Ubuntu are getting a bit cosy with M$ for me. There are a couple of issues I've come across with GhostBSD 10.3 that are nearly deal-breakers which I'm hoping you guys can help me out on.

I use bluetooth quite a bit to move files to and from my aged but works fine Dell Lat. 6420 laptop. I downloaded and installed the XFCE image, I was hoping to find a bluetooth manager installed. I did some searching on the web and testing has shown the OS can see, and I can start the bluetooth stack. So it appears I just need the last bit and find a bluetooth manager to pair and allow send and receive files. I did try a manual install of FreeBSD and installed gnome 3 - looked great but alas no bluetooth there.

Also Skype. I see it has been left high and dry and was hoping to be able to install the plug-in for Pigeon but I couldn't get that working, accessing web skype though firebox seems to be blocked by M$. How are you getting on skype, I'm not fussed about calls, just chat and file transfer.
ASX

Re: Nearly perfect for me, but..

Post by ASX »

hi and welcome,

I will make it short: bluetooth is not supported in FreeBSD, take or leave. That is.
More or less the same for skype.
amtrakuk

Post by amtrakuk »

Oh... Why not? If the hardware is recognised? Seems odd.
ASX

Post by ASX »

amtrakuk wrote:Oh... Why not? If the hardware is recognised? Seems odd.
Yes, but bluetooth to work need a full stack ... and it is simply not there.

At one time I was able to configure a bt mouse, manually, it was a pain and after a few days stopped, I changed to a non-bt mouse and problem solved.

You need BT for file transfer, you may want to look at FreeBSD forum, but I already know about ... forget it, unless you are looking to waste a ton of time.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Is Skype broken again? I managed to get Skype working on FreeBSD about a year ago. Now if I want to skype I use my android.
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Is Skype broken again? I managed to get Skype working on FreeBSD about a year ago. Now if I want to skype I use my android.
I'm not sure what the current status of skype is right now, but if it broke "sometimes" that's enough to not rely on skype for any serious thing.
It certainly was not working on 10.x, I also know that was working on 11.0 (at least ericbsd reported it as working on 11.0). but I have given up since 10.x.

Fortunately, the advent of flat plans for mobile phones and decreasing costs, along with the abolition of roaming costs in EU, made skype totally irrelevant for me.
amtrakuk

Post by amtrakuk »

ASX wrote:
amtrakuk wrote:Oh... Why not? If the hardware is recognised? Seems odd.
Yes, but bluetooth to work need a full stack ... and it is simply not there.

At one time I was able to configure a bt mouse, manually, it was a pain and after a few days stopped, I changed to a non-bt mouse and problem solved.

You need BT for file transfer, you may want to look at FreeBSD forum, but I already know about ... forget it, unless you are looking to waste a ton of time.
Thats a shame. I use it to upload MP3 podcasts to my phone. Maybe able to play around and see if I can get USB cable to work
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

If you want to upload mp3s to your phone use Android File Transfer. I use it often and it works like a charm. ;)

Probably much faster than bluetooth. Look for it in Octopkg.
amtrakuk

Post by amtrakuk »

NevilleGoddard wrote:If you want to upload mp3s to your phone use Android File Transfer. I use it often and it works like a charm. ;)

Probably much faster than bluetooth. Look for it in Octopkg.
its an "aldi" tough phone. Only has USB or Bluetooth as the connectivity..
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Sorry. I was assuming a bit too much about the type of phone you had. ;)
Try connecting it with a usb cable. It may get recognised. My old Nokia phone did get recognised.