'Auth.log' Log file filling up

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
kraileth

Re: 'Auth.log' Log file filling up

Post by kraileth »

ASX wrote:
kraileth wrote:If somebody wants the doas part fixed, too, he or she needs to find a volunteer with some C coding experience (and preferably somebody who's able to convince the Ted Unangst and the OpenBSD guys to accept a patch upstream).
Some suicide attitude is needed to ask something that (removing logging) to OpenBSD! :D
Oops, looks like I forgot the smiley there... Thanks for pointing it out. Fixed it above. :lol:
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I have done some changes lately to NetworkMGR to prevent the scan when there is no wifi, and more work will be done on NetworkMGR since it is an incomplete project.

Not that is a lot of change coming in the future of GhostBSD I can now put more time than before on GhostBSD. I do now work for iXsystems.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

There is an update coming soon probably in two weeks.
NeverSimple

Post by NeverSimple »

kraileth wrote: That's actually two different things: Yes, extending the network manager so that it doesn't try to use wlan at all on system where it's not desired (or even possible) would be a nice feature. But then there are probably a lot of systems where you would actually want to scan for wlans. And in that case the logging "problem" still exists.
Maybe. I don't run GhostBSD on a laptop (or anything that has wlan capabilities), but I could imagine that it calms down a bit after having established a wireless connection?
kraileth wrote:A agree with ASX here: On a desktop workstation it's probably a minor thing for most people. However for security-minded folks who actually check their logs it could be a real nuisance.

I'm opening a ticket for the network manager side of the affair.
Thanks for that. I sense a bit of a "why on earth would anyone be concerned with this" attitude in this thread, and there are probably much more pressing things that need attention... ;) . But, I'm one of those weird people that regularly scans through logfiles to see if anything needs attention. So having a log that produces 2300+ lines every hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is a bit annoying to me, especially because there is zero value in this case.
kraileth wrote:If somebody wants the doas part fixed, too, he or she needs to find a volunteer with some C coding experience (and preferably somebody who's able to convince the Ted Unangst and the OpenBSD guys to accept a patch upstream :mrgreen: ).
Yeah, Mhh. I don't know much about doas, or how it fits into this logging scheme, so I probably shouldn't bother asking silly questions there. I already have the GhostBSD forum for that.... :?
NeverSimple

Post by NeverSimple »

ericbsd wrote:There is an update coming soon probably in two weeks.
Sigh... page two, what do you mean page two... completely missed these responses. Thank you very much for that!
NeverSimple

Post by NeverSimple »

ericbsd wrote:I have done some changes lately to NetworkMGR to prevent the scan when there is no wifi, and more work will be done on NetworkMGR since it is an incomplete project.

Not that is a lot of change coming in the future of GhostBSD I can now put more time than before on GhostBSD. I do now work for iXsystems.
Oh, wow. that is good news, congratulations :P

It did give me something to think about though... I use GhostBSD because I just can't get used to TrueOS. I like the way GhostBSD is much closer to FreeBSD. And why would IXsystems fund the development of two FreeBSD based desktop oriented OS's?

Time will tell, I guess.

Anyway, lots of luck with your new job!
ASX

Post by ASX »

NeverSimple wrote:I sense a bit of a "why on earth would anyone be concerned with this" attitude in this thread, and there are probably much more pressing things that need attention... ;)
You phrase can be splitted in two parts, and the first part made me think about, the second part is surely a truth.

The fact is that yes we are few and indeed there are things more important to do first, but I'm afraid about "why on the earth...", that is not what we are thinking, the opposite is true, we share your view about those ...hmm "side effects", but the day has 24 hours only and we need to do other things. (fixing support for uefi boot, fixing the installer ... just to mention the first two things that come to my mind).

That's to say it is not because "why on the earth ..." it is because "when we will be able to do that ?" :) ;)
NeverSimple

Post by NeverSimple »

ASX wrote:The fact is that yes we are few and indeed there are things more important to do first, but I'm afraid about "why on the earth...", that is not what we are thinking)
It's always a bit of a challenge to write down exactly how one feels about something, more so when English is not ones native language. Some things do get lost in translation.

But make no mistake: I'm really happy with GhostBSD and the way it works and in the short time I am using the forums, I got an understanding of how small the GhostBSD team Is (and getting even smaller; I read in another thread that you will be leaving in the not-to-distant future?).

Maybe now that 'ericbsd' is working for IXsystems, something will change with that, who knows.
ASX

Post by ASX »

NeverSimple wrote:
ASX wrote:The fact is that yes we are few and indeed there are things more important to do first, but I'm afraid about "why on the earth...", that is not what we are thinking)
It's always a bit of a challenge to write down exactly how one feels about something, more so when English is not ones native language. Some things do get lost in translation.

But make no mistake: I'm really happy with GhostBSD and the way it works and in the short time I am using the forums, I got an understanding of how small the GhostBSD team Is (and getting even smaller; I read in another thread that you will be leaving in the not-to-distant future?).

Maybe now that 'ericbsd' is working for IXsystems, something will change with that, who knows.
I came here two years ago or so, and I was at my first experience with the FreeBSD word, mainly driven by a personal interest for ZFS, at that specific moment I joined ericbsd after he posted something like "GhostBSD is a one man effort" or something along that line.

Being involved into the project has been an exceptional way to learn about the OS, and to contribute some bit. All in all, I'm very happy about how the things has evolved since then, lot of things improved.

Unfortunately something happened upstream, in FreeBSD, something I was and am very afraid of.
At the same time that event clarified in my mind the reason why FreeBSD will not succeed on the desktop, nothing is written on the stones, but yes, I will leave.

But that doesn't mean the GhostBSD team will be smaller, other devs already joined and more will come most likely. ;)

As for GhostBSD future, ericbsd is the one that will tell you about. :)