'Auth.log' Log file filling up

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
NeverSimple

'Auth.log' Log file filling up

Post by NeverSimple »

I noticed today that /var/log/auth.log is steadily growing in size. Every hour it rolls over due to size.
Basically there are only two lines in there:

Code: Select all

Sep 16 20:42:19 ghostbsd doas: rherman ran command ifconfig wlan0 as root from /usr/home/rherman
Sep 16 20:42:19 ghostbsd doas: root ran command ifconfig wlan0 as root from /root
These two line repeat 10 times with the same timestamp, so 20 log entries. then it stops for 15 seconds after which it repeats with the same 20 log entries. This keeps going on hour after hour.

I Have two machines running GhostBSD 11.1, one on ALPHA1, the other on BETA1. Both exhibit this behaviour.
Any idea where this is coming from?
ASX

Re: 'Auth.log' Log file filling up

Post by ASX »

That is most likely a side effect of network manager, that peridodically scan for available wifi networks.
NeverSimple

Post by NeverSimple »

Really? That seems a bit excessive. Especially since none of these machines has a WiFi adapter.
ASX

Post by ASX »

if you don't need network manager, simply disable it.
In XFCE you need to look into settings -> startup, I don't know about MATE but should not be much difficult to find where is started. ;)

EDIT: the first time you connect to a wifi network you don't want to wait too much, so the timing is a tradeoff.
WytWun

Post by WytWun »

I may not be looking in the correct place, but if the network manager is relying on /usr/local/share/networkmgr/net_api.py then it seems to me that there might be something amiss.

There are several functions in that file that check for the presence of the wlan0 interface and return an appropriate status (True == exists | active; False == absent | inactive). My VM instance of BETA1 is showing the same activity on wlan0 that NeverSimple is seeing and there's no wireless lan interface in the VM (or the host for that matter). I don't have time to pursue this further at the moment...
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

To me it would make sense if doas supported suppressing log messages for certain commands. However I don't think that it has such a feature. Yet?
NeverSimple

Post by NeverSimple »

kraileth wrote:To me it would make sense if doas supported suppressing log messages for certain commands. However I don't think that it has such a feature. Yet?
Well, to me it would not make sense supressing these messages. They shouldn't be generated in the first place, right?
Why would running 'ifconfig wlan0' make sense on a machine that has no wlan0? (or any wlan capability)
I think 'WytWun' is right: something is not quit right here.
ASX

Post by ASX »

NeverSimple wrote:
kraileth wrote:To me it would make sense if doas supported suppressing log messages for certain commands. However I don't think that it has such a feature. Yet?
Well, to me it would not make sense supressing these messages. They shouldn't be generated in the first place, right?
Why would running 'ifconfig wlan0' make sense on a machine that has no wlan0? (or any wlan capability)
The network manager may be far from perfect, but it does some good job which is (or will be) separate into two pieces:
a) detect a wifi adapter, including USB dongles that could be plugged in at any time, and configure the related driver in rc.conf
b) managing the connection to the wifi network

both things require a periodic scan, hope that explain the underlying requirements.
The excessive logging can be annoying, but it is a minor issue. ;)
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

NeverSimple wrote:Well, to me it would not make sense supressing these messages. They shouldn't be generated in the first place, right?
That's actually two different things: Yes, extending the network manager so that it doesn't try to use wlan at all on system where it's not desired (or even possible) would be a nice feature. But then there are probably a lot of systems where you would actually want to scan for wlans. And in that case the logging "problem" still exists. A agree with ASX here: On a desktop workstation it's probably a minor thing for most people. However for security-minded folks who actually check their logs it could be a real nuisance.

I'm opening a ticket for the network manager side of the affair. If somebody wants the doas part fixed, too, he or she needs to find a volunteer with some C coding experience (and preferably somebody who's able to convince the Ted Unangst and the OpenBSD guys to accept a patch upstream :mrgreen: ).
ASX

Post by ASX »

kraileth wrote:If somebody wants the doas part fixed, too, he or she needs to find a volunteer with some C coding experience (and preferably somebody who's able to convince the Ted Unangst and the OpenBSD guys to accept a patch upstream).
Some suicide attitude is needed to ask something that (removing logging) to OpenBSD! :D