Mouse scroll wheel at top does webpage back/ bottom forward

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
sacman08

Mouse scroll wheel at top does webpage back/ bottom forward

Post by sacman08 »

I have a default install of Ghost BSD 10.3 R p11 and I am using a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo. I am using the default installed version of firefox and I have noticed some issues with the mouse scroll wheel when web surfing. Whenever I scroll to the top of a webpage it will send me back through websites I have previously visited, also when I scroll to the bottom it will send me forward through pages I have already visited. I am just curious if this is suppose to be a feature and if so how do I turn it off because I can't find a setting in either the mouse or firefox settings to do this. Has anyone else experienced this problem (if it's not a feature)?
ASX

Re: Mouse scroll wheel at top does webpage back/ bottom forw

Post by ASX »

The default behavior of the scroll wheel is to scroll up/down the current page, that said I've imported my settings from a previous firefox install, so I'm unsure.

Have you tried a more traditional mouse, just for test ?
sacman08

Post by sacman08 »

Well I consider this a traditional mouse, USB and wireless by Logitech. Do you mean a PS/2? No I don't have a PS/2 port to try or even a mouse. Still based on the very limited responses, I am going to assume that no one else has experienced this or the people who have consider it a good feature and don't want it changed. Thanks anyway.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I did have that happening to in VirtualBox, but did not found why.
zezollo

Post by zezollo »

Same in a 10.3 installed as a VirtualBox guest.
khentimentiu

Re: Mouse scroll wheel at top does webpage back/ bottom forward

Post by khentimentiu »

I have a similar problem. When I scroll down in Firefox, the web page moves upward. However, when I scroll up even one click of the scroll wheel, Firefox jumps to the previous web page, and jumps again for every click upward of the scroll wheel. Note that this happens only in Firefox, not Chrome, and only on GhostBSD running on VirtualBox, not Linux Mint, not Kali Linux, not Windows. Just now I had to start this reply again because the scroll wheel sent me to another page, and I couldn't get back to the text I was typing.

I am running Firefox 123.0, uname -a output is

FreeBSD xxxxxx-ghostbsd 14.0-STABLE FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE GENERIC amd64

I've tried firefox and firefox-ESR from SoftwareStation, and have built firefox 123.0 from /usr/ports/www/firefox. All three programs behave the same way. The mouse is a USB 2.0 Dell mouse, two buttons and a scroll wheel, plugged into a Dell 101-key USB 2.0 keyboard. I've also tried an HP keyboard and an HP scroll mouse, same result.

I am running on VirtualBox 6.1 on LinuxMint 21.3, to evaluate whether I want to keep using GhostBSD. Any fixes or workarounds to avoid this would be appreciated. And no, I don't want to use Chrome.
mfjurbala

Re: Mouse scroll wheel at top does webpage back/ bottom forward

Post by mfjurbala »

One way to fix the scroll issue when using VirtualBox is to disable or change buttons using xmodmap. The forum post is from me under an old name which links to the FreeBSD forums with actual directions on setting up xmodmap.

https://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewtopic.p ... map#p10379