GhostBSD 3.0 gnome installer

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
ghost

GhostBSD 3.0 gnome installer

Post by ghost »

I downloaded the Ghost 3.0 Gnome and all went ok and i have the software on my Usb stick.

the question i have is how do I open it ?.

I tryed Microsoft Usb tool, and the Liunx pen drive tool and nothing happens (it doesnt open the software)
they say the above has its own installer but i dont see it I used Firefox 20 to download the software.

Help.
Haghiri75

Re: GhostBSD 3.0 gnome installer

Post by Haghiri75 »

I suggest download and install cygwin , then use the "dd" command.

Code: Select all

dd if=/path/to/image of=/path/to/device
Subit Piano

Post by Subit Piano »

Ghost -- if I'm reading you right:

BSD is not software, it's an operating system. You put it on your usb stick, reboot your computer from the usb stick, and the operating system (BSD) will start.

I agree with Hagiri to use dd to install the GhostBSD img file onto your usb stick. If you want to make a permanent installation that saves all your changes, i think you'll need to download the GhostBSD iso file and burn it to a blank CD (that's NOT like burning a music CD or backing up files to a CD). Then you start your computer from the CD; when the menu comes up, choose "install" to install GhostBSD to your usb stick. After that's done you can start your computer from the usb stick anytime -- you will have a complete operating system on your stick, usable on most any computer.

All this said, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence if you already realize all this; if so, please try rewording your question and reposting. On the other hand, if you've never worked with images and downloading/installing BSD or Linux, let us know, maybe we can point you to a couple places that can get you started.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

See http://wiki.ghostbsd.org/index.php?titl ... in_Windows.

And thanks Haghiri75 and Subit Piano for helping the community.