GhostBSD fails to boot after update

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
willbproggin

GhostBSD fails to boot after update

Post by willbproggin »

Greetings,

While I'm not really seeking help for this, I just wanted to add my experience.

I installed GhostBSD official 23.10.1 MATE version from USB thumb drive to SSD on an HP Z440 Xeon workstation. The install went fine and when I rebooted, it booted fine without issues. I then used the Update Station to update, rebooted and then I get a BIOS message that no bootable media was found.

I do not wish to troubleshoot this issue as the computer fell while I was inside, checking drives, which broke the wifi antenna off (and a shelf). Obviously not the most satisfying experience. GhostBSD isn't responsible for my stupidity, but in the grand scheme of things, this wouldn't have happened if GhostBSD had booted properly after the update.

Anyway, until GhostBSD is a little more robust, I will avoid for now. I realize this could be a FreeBSD issue instead of GhostBSD. I am a GhostBSD fan and faithfully try each new release, so here's hoping the future is more successful.

Thank you and God bless you! :D
An imperfect being created by a perfect God! :D
ericbsd
Developer

Re: GhostBSD fails to boot after update

Post by ericbsd »

That is odd. Update Station only upgrades packages. It does not deal with the bios or disk partitions.

Do you know if your drive is still healthy?
willbproggin

Post by willbproggin »

ericbsd wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:28 am That is odd. Update Station only upgrades packages. It does not deal with the bios or disk partitions.

Do you know if your drive is still healthy?
Thanks for your reply Eric. :)

Yes, the drive is fine and works fine with Linux, Windows and so-on.

I'm beginning to think that it has something to do with 'Create alternate boot environment' (or similar) after the Update Station update completes. This checkbox is checked by default and I'm thinking when the alternate boot environment was created, maybe the boot loader doesn't recognize it or...? At any rate, that computer is down for the count right now until I get replacement parts, so my GhostBSD testing is at a standstill until the horse and buggy get here from the vendor...

Thank you, God bless you and have a great Christmas if you celebrate it! :D
willbproggin

Post by willbproggin »

This is the checkbox I'm talking about