gpgtar decrypt failure

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
nevets

gpgtar decrypt failure

Post by nevets »

Hi,
As we don't have a encrypted instal of Ghost I wanted to use the native pre-installed gnugp to selectively encrypt particular data directories.
For some reason I can't fathom the decryption always fails...
I followed [https://www.baeldung.com/linux/encrypti ... -directory] example...
encryption process:
mkdir top-secret
echo "this is a secret" > top-secret/secret.txt
gpgtar --encrypt --symmetric --output top-secret.gpg --gpg-args="--passphrase=top-secret-passphrase --batch" top-secret
Listing reveals:
gpgtar --list-archive --gpg-args "--passphrase=top-secret --batch" top-secret.gpg
gpg: AES256.CFB encrypted data
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
gpg: decryption failed: Bad session key
Decryption fails with:
gpgtar --decrypt --directory decrypted top-secret.gpg
gpg: AES256.CFB encrypted data
gpg: problem with the agent: Inappropriate ioctl for device
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
gpg: decryption failed: Bad session key
Please, can anyone explain the 'bad session key' failure issue?
This fails whether I use root or me and within and between pools.
chadbsd

Re: gpgtar decrypt failure

Post by chadbsd »

The "Bad session key" error you're encountering while trying to decrypt your data with GnuPG (gpgtar) typically indicates a problem with the passphrase or the GPG agent. Here are some steps to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

Verify Passphrase:
Double-check the passphrase you are using for encryption and decryption (--passphrase=top-secret-passphrase). Make sure there are no typos or extra spaces. The passphrase must be identical during encryption and decryption.

GnuPG Agent:

The "Inappropriate ioctl for device" error often occurs when GnuPG tries to use the agent but encounters an issue. Try running the decryption without the agent by using the --no-use-agent option:

gpgtar --decrypt --directory decrypted --no-use-agent top-secret.gpg

This might help bypass the agent-related issue.

Use Absolute Paths:
Ensure that you are working with absolute file paths for your input and output files. This can sometimes resolve issues related to relative paths.

Check GnuPG Version:
Ensure that you are using an up-to-date version of GnuPG. Older versions may have bugs or compatibility issues. You can check your GnuPG version using the following command:

gpg --version

If it's not up-to-date, consider updating it to the latest version available for your operating system.

Environment Variables:
Check if any environment variables related to GnuPG are conflicting with your command. You can try running the command in a clean environment by using the env -i command:

env -i gpgtar --decrypt --directory decrypted top-secret.gpg

Debug Mode:
You can use the --debug-all option to enable extensive debugging information, which may provide more insight into the issue:

gpgtar --decrypt --directory decrypted --debug-all top-secret.gpg

This can help you identify the specific problem in the decryption process.

Alternative Encryption Methods:
If you continue to face issues, you might consider using alternative methods for encryption, such as using symmetric encryption with openssl or other encryption tools. This can be a workaround if you're unable to resolve the GnuPG issue.

Remember to handle sensitive data carefully, and make sure to securely manage your encryption keys and passphrases.
nevets

Re: gpgtar decrypt failure

Post by nevets »

It seems that the modifier
--no-use-agent
returns
gpg: WARNING: "--no-use-agent" is an obsolete option - it has no effect

Seems there is a bug in gpg.

Workaround...
install gpg-gui
and use this application.
Unlike gpgtar it only works on a file.
But we can always use the native archiver to create the file of a directory first.