Copy/Paste from guest only one way

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
Ken E Unix

Copy/Paste from guest only one way

Post by Ken E Unix »

Hi.

I have been using GhostBSD (23.08) for some time now. It is running as a guest in virtualbox under Ubuntu 22.04.

The problem is I can copy text from the guest to the host but NOT the other way.

The copy/past setting is set to bidirectional.

I have reviewed my settings but don't see a reason for this. Am I missing a setting?

Thanks,
Ken
wb7odyfred

Re: Copy/Paste from guest only one way

Post by wb7odyfred »

So what method did you use to copy and paste? Did you use the copy key and the paste key? You do see them special keys on your keyboard, Right? /sarc-off Sorry, could not help myself to make a joke

From terminals I seem to use Ctrl-Shift-C for copy and Ctrl-Shift-V for paste. For web browsers, its just Ctrl-C ; Ctrl-V
Sometimes Shift-Insert works to paste text previously copied into the single clip board, into the window where the cursor is placed,pointing to

I usually copy from a terminal window with ctrl-shift-c (or open the edit-menu up on top and select copy function) and then open vi editor, hit G , hit lowercase o, ctrl-v or shift-insert to paste text I wish to save in a text file for later user. ESC : wq exits vi

Fred
Ken E Unix

Post by Ken E Unix »

As bad as it sounds I neglected to add "guest additions" into the virtual machine.

Doing that caused many error messages but fixed the copy from host to the guest problem.

This was not covered in the install procedures.

-Ken
wb7odyfred

Post by wb7odyfred »

I have been using GhostBSD (23.08) for some time now. It is running as a guest in virtualbox under Ubuntu 22.04.
VirtualBox is the one controlling the clipboard and whether it is OneWay Host to Guest, or Bidiretional. See Network Chuck Virtual Machines at 23:00 mark of 27 minute video
[url}https://youtu.be/wX75Z-4MEoM?si=1uoV8D6ZIzlPhzvZ&t=1384[/url]
Fred
Ken E Unix

Post by Ken E Unix »

Thanks.

I was pointing out that maybe it could be added to the install steps.

-Ken