[SOLVED][Community XFCE] Unresponsive GUI

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
neville
Developer

Re: [Community XFCE] Unresponsive GUI

Post by neville »

Actually I stand corrected. I started XFCE, left it for about 15 to 20 minutes and it was frozen. I've never seen that before. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for discovering that
digifuzzy

Post by digifuzzy »

@ericbsd - I just had a look at the GhostBSD XFCE themes repo. It is out of date and thus contains the Vimix github issue mentioned earlier. I'd do a pull request if I knew what needs to be pulled across from the Vimix github repo. Looks like a manual folder compare (or prolific use of meld).

I'll take a quick stab at it for kicks.
neville
Developer

Post by neville »

I actually have the same problem. I don't know what is causing it. It has nothing to do with screen blanking. Thanks for finding the problem
neville
Developer

Post by neville »

I'm not using the vimix theme
digifuzzy

Post by digifuzzy »

@neville - the Vimix theme issue, IMO, stems from github repos not being maintained. GhostBSD project on github shows a Mate and XFCE Theme repos. Mate is kept up to date but the XFCE is lagging. As this theme is the default for the Live CD, a bug from 2019 still shows up for XFCE but not for Mate. IME, a single Theme repo would be best/prudent but that is a decision above my pay grade.

As for the XFCE bug itself, my Google-Fu didn't turn up anything immediately. I have to come up with better search terms to narrow this down or go deep dive through the XFCE bug reports manually.
neville
Developer

Post by neville »

I'll look into it. When it freezes, have you tried pressing ctrl alt F1 then Ctrl alt F9?
neville
Developer

Post by neville »

There must be an XFCE package causing the problem
neville
Developer

Post by neville »

I've tried to reproduce the problem again and it hasn't happened. I'll try a fresh install to see if it happens again
digifuzzy

Post by digifuzzy »

neville wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:42 am I'll look into it. When it freezes, have you tried pressing ctrl alt F1 then Ctrl alt F9?
The active tty does not change the problem. In trying to track the problem, switching between ttys was done numerous times. No, I do not think this is package related.

Again, IMO, there is an active widget being presented that is set to size -1 (thus making it non-visible). That active widget expects input and is made topmost in the widget stack ultimately stealing focus (mouse and key inputs, et al). Active tty doesn't change what is presented from the video buffer.

This all stems from Xorg screen blanking and XFCE display settings for screen sleep. Changing XFCE preferences for screen sleep or Lock Screen activation does not affect the problem.
neville
Developer

Post by neville »

I can't reproduce the issue. I'll try doing a clean install and see what happens