[SOLVE] Brother scanner does not work

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
lapagalia

[SOLVE] Brother scanner does not work

Post by lapagalia »

Hello.
I have a Brother MFC-L2750DW printer and it works without further configuration, but the scanner does not. Sane says it can't find device available. I have not found any driver for this printer.

I do have a DEB package with the driver for Linux. I have unzipped it and it has copied its contents to /compat/linux, but surely something else needs to be done, and I don't know what to do or if this can be a solution.

Can you help me?
Thanks.
lapagalia

Re: Brother scanner does not work

Post by lapagalia »

I have solved the scanner problem and have been asked to report how I did it. Since I touched several configurations, I am not fully sure which one or ones of them have been the determinant for the resolution of the problem. Therefore, I caution interested persons to be cautious and not to take these notes as the latest.

My printer is the Brother MFC-L2750DW. Initially, I had it connected to a USB port and it worked perfectly without any configuration. But the scanner was not working. It did not recognize it. I looked for a driver for it, but the Brother website did not have one for this model. I could not find a driver anywhere else. I installed "brlaser", but to no avail (although I think this was decisive for later steps).

I followed the advice to connect the printer to the router. And this is where the solution came from. Once that was done, I went to the settings on the printer's physical panel. There I had to choose to connect it to a WLAN network. Then I had to enter the IP of my system, as well as the gateway and DNS.

Then I created a new printer in the MATE utility for it (print settings). There I chose "network printer" and in the option "host" I entered the IP of the system. That's how it found the printer.

At some point, I don't remember at which step, but I think it was the last one, instead of choosing my printer model, I had to choose the MFC-L2710DW, since there was no option for my model. I would also like to emphasize that I think it was decisive to install the "brlaser" driver.

After that, the scanner was found and is now working properly.

I hope this is useful for those who have this printer or any other Brother printer that lacks a BSD driver.