"module 'kernel' exists but with wrong version" after configuring nvidia drivers

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
pallen38

"module 'kernel' exists but with wrong version" after configuring nvidia drivers

Post by pallen38 »

Hi,

I was attempting to configure my nvidia gpu and after the next reboot the system wouldn't come up. While loading configured modules, it loads nvidia.ko, linux_common.ko, linux.ko and then tries to load 'kernel.'

loading required module 'kernel'
module 'kernel' exists but with wrong version

the system then freezes and I can not get it to go on. I figured I did something wrong and since this was a new install, I just did a fresh installed and tried again, following https://wiki.ghostbsd.org/index.php/Nvi ... stallation

I have an older card and read that I should use the 340 driver, so I installed the nvidia-driver-340-340.x driver, the nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig. I added kld_list="nvidia-modeset nvidia" to the rc.conf and nvidia_load="YES" to loader.conf. I ran nvidia-xconfig and rebooted.

I am not sure what the issue is, or if there's any way to get around this and bring the system up so I could backup out the change while I investigate further. Everything I've found about this error says that the boot should continue afterwards, but mine simply stops.

Thanks!

Patrick
ericbsd
Developer

Re: "module 'kernel' exists but with wrong version" after configuring nvidia drivers

Post by ericbsd »

nvidia-modeset is not part of the 340 drivers also it looks like the wiki is wrong.

If you use kldlist you cant use loader.conf.

I will fix the wiki page.
pallen38

Re: "module 'kernel' exists but with wrong version" after configuring nvidia drivers

Post by pallen38 »

This worked great, thanks! I am surprised that attempting to load the wrong kernel module rendered the system unbootable.