Automount is mounting things read only

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
russellm72

Automount is mounting things read only

Post by russellm72 »

How can I get automount to mount my drives read/write and not read only?
russellm72

Re: Automount is mounting things read only

Post by russellm72 »

No-one out there has any ideas about this for me? I just want to be able to plug in a FAT32 USB keychain drive and have it Automount read/write instead of read only. Help me GhostBSD gurus, you're my only hope.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

IT should be mounting R/W for FAT32. Unless the user does not have permission to write on it.
russellm72

Post by russellm72 »

You're right, it should be but, I just tested it again. I plug in a FAT32 USB keychain drive and all the files have little locks next to them. There's no reason that I shouldn't have permission to write to this drive. Why is Automount mounting it in a way that my user doesn't have permission to write? How do I fix it?
nevets

Post by nevets »

I've found MATE on Ghost 'variable' in whether it mounts memory stick's file systems well for quite a while.
Sometimes it fails to recognise the stick is plugged into the usb port; sometimes files written to it are not there when mounted in an MS system; sometimes chkdsk on MS re-finds the files...
Presently I use NTFS rather than FAT on the memory sticks as it works more often than not.
The unmount [right-click on the da0 icon] option always times-out and fails - which is possibly the real issue here?

Work around for NTSF and FAT in the first usb port:
Use a terminal to mount and unmount the devices properly. I put these commands in separate scripts for ease of use.
# sudo ntfs-3g -o permissions /dev/da0 /media/da0
# sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/da0 /media/da0
# sudo umount /media/da0
MATE expects removable media to be mounted in /media
You could also use /mnt if you prefer.

Steve
security_lover

Post by security_lover »

Same problem here. I was using FAT32 on my flash drive. I thought FAT32 is not fully supported under GhostBSD so I formatted it to UFS. Even UFS partitions which are auto mounted are becoming read only after a fresh boot. Both the flash & the UFS partition of my second drive which I use to store data only are repeatedly becoming read only
I have to use "chown" again & again to make it writable again.

Is this some kind of a bug ?
I am paranoid about security !