How to set portrait display resolutions?

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
Elliander

How to set portrait display resolutions?

Post by Elliander »

Hi, I installed GhostBSD inside a virtual machine (VMware Workstation) on a windows desktop primarily because I needed a native unix-based environment to write C/C++ code in for a course I am taking. My computer has 4 monitors. Two are widescreen, which the display settings in "Monitor Preferences" seems to support, but two of them aren't supported at all.

One monitor is in portrait mode, and it's what I use primarily for coding. The resolution is 1080x1920, but that's not even close to an option in Monitor Preferences. The other monitor is a square flat-screen monitor I also occasionally use for legacy software. It's 1600x1200.

Is there any way to manually set the monitor resolution? Note that even though I have 4 monitors, and a high end graphic card, the virtual machine has only allocated a single screen for it's use so I'd need to set the resolution for the monitor I am using - preferrably the portrait one.

The black bar on the top and bottom is making it rather difficult to work in in anything other than my widescreen monitors, but I need those free for other tasks.

Note that while I see a screen rotation setting, it says that screen rotation is not supported, which is weird.
Last edited by Elliander on Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elliander

Re: How to set portrait display resolutions?

Post by Elliander »

Also, I am noticing another problem with resolution: Even in widescreen, when I minimize a program it disappears out of view. I thought that maybe the problem was that the taskbar was on the top, so I changed it's properties to move it to the bottom and now it is also out of view. The resolution cuts off the bottom of the monitor and I can't seem to get the toolbar back.

With the top panel moved to the bottom I am able to hover the mouse beyond the screen view to click programs, which allows me to move that toolbar onto the top, but the applications cannot be selected in that setup so I had to reset all toolbars which once again put applications on top and moved the toolbar where applications minimize to out of view and beyond where I can click. I was able to side step this issue by adding "Window list" to the top panel, but having anything exist beyond the view seems to be a resolution issue I need to fix regardless.

EDIT: The cut off on the bottom is even worse than I thought. It was a pain trying to save a source file in codelite because the "save as" box had it's bottom off the screen, and when I tried to drag it up it snapped lower. I had to resize the window to make it stop doing that. I know this isn't an issue with VMware because it won't virtualize a monitor space like that.
Elliander

Post by Elliander »

Looks like BSD just sucks. While trying to configure compilers the windows kept pulling off screen and then I couldn't close anything. I tried installing other compilers from from "software station" and it would say that it did, but then didn't, and after rebooting ALL files were gone. and everything installed erased.
gom

Post by gom »

Elliander wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:54 pm Looks like BSD just sucks. While trying to configure compilers the windows kept pulling off screen and then I couldn't close anything. I tried installing other compilers from from "software station" and it would say that it did, but then didn't, and after rebooting ALL files were gone. and everything installed erased.
Hello,
I just installed this like 4 days ago but I happened to come across exactly what you're talking about.

You can rotate the monitor by opening the CONTROL CENTER and clicking DISPLAYS. In there, you'll see a ROTATION option.

Take care.

GOM