Can no longer boot after recent updates

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
bdk0012

Can no longer boot after recent updates

Post by bdk0012 »

Hello,

I've been running GhostBSD on my Dell XPS Desktop for the past few months and until now everything has been great. A couple days ago I got the notification that new updates were available and I installed them successfully and rebooted as usual. However on Bootup the system now hangs after printing:

OpenRC 0.41.2 is starting up FreeBSD 12.2-STABLE (amd64)

Press I to enter interactive boot mode

* Caching service dependencies ...
* WARNING: abi has started, but is inactive
* Starting the System Clock Adjuster (UTC) ...

At this point it just hangs indefinitely. For the first few seconds after printing this line I can type characters on the keyboard and they show up on the screen, but after a few seconds I lose that entirely and need to hard reboot. I've tried the 'I' for interactive boot mode but even spamming 'I' as it boots it never does anything differently at boot up

I have managed to boot up ok by going back to the Boot Environment from before this update, and that boots up and seems to run fine. The next line that prints in OpenRC is *Checking Local Filesystems, so somewhere between starting the system clock adjuster and checking filesystems it seems to be hanging. This system is installed on ZFS

Today there were a bunch more updates and I installed them, hoping that perhaps this issue would be fixed, but it still exists. Can anyone provide some insight in how to troubleshoot or fix this?

Thank you
toby

Re: Can no longer boot after recent updates

Post by toby »

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution? Can someone else help?

Regards,
toby
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Look like you have the virtualbox kernel problem.

Did you do the update with the Update Station or pkg command?
bdk0012

Post by bdk0012 »

ericbsd,

Thanks for the response. I did the update with the Update Station.

I'm running GhostBSD on the metal (not inside VirtualBox as a guest), but I do have VirtualBox installed and use it to run other guests under the GhostBSD host.
bdk0012

Post by bdk0012 »

It sounds like this is a known issue, does anyone know of a workaround or a fix? I saw some base OS updates were available in the most recent set, but the same issue persists still. Luckily my boot environment from September 28th continues to work, I did try searching "GhostBSD VirtualBox Kernel Problem" based on ericbsd's description of the issue, but predictably, that doesn't bring up anything relevent.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

@bdk0012 The VirtualBox has been solve since.

An Update with the GUI update manager should should work.
bdk0012

Post by bdk0012 »

@ericbsd

I've performed all the updates available this afternoon, but the problem persists. Currently when I run update-station there does not appear to be any more updates waiting.
bdk0012

Post by bdk0012 »

Correction, I believe that is in fact working for me now after the latest updates. My confusion was due to since I couldn't get the default 'initial' boot environment to boot up without hanging, I was booted into a backup boot environment when I ran the update-station, which of course, did nothing to update the 'initial' boot environment. So just user error.

Thanks for your help.
markzb

Post by markzb »

Hi everyone and thanks for looking!

I am running the latest version of GhostBSD on physical hardware i.e. a Thinkpad T61.

I ran from the command line sudo pkg update -f and sudo pkg upgrade.

Unfortunately after rebooting, I get stuck at this line:
Starting the System Clock Adjuster (UTC) ...

Since this issue was mentioned in this thread, I did not want to open a new thread.

So kind folks... is there any way of fixing this? Any suggestions?

If there is not, would anyone know the command I could use to mount my GhostBSD ZFS drive onto a machine running standard FreeBSD also with ZFS?

Cheers and thanks again!

Update...

I managed to go into "Interactive RC" by pressing Shift and i

After many reboot attempts, what I found was that if I skipped these two services, I was able to boot up the machine

The two services that I skipped were:
adjkerntz
service modules

And so... any tips on how I can fix this issue?

Cheers
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

You break your systems using pkg instead of using Update Station.