How to read system startup message again?

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
hunghung

How to read system startup message again?

Post by hunghung »

The message was displayed too fast. I want to read it again as it show there're some errors on my system :)
ericbsd
Developer

Re: How to read system startup message again?

Post by ericbsd »

dmesg is what you are looking for.
hunghung

Post by hunghung »

ericbsd wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:36 pm dmesg is what you are looking for.
I want to read message after OpenRC start. It isn't on dmesg.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Oh for that you can press i when it starts
hunghung

Post by hunghung »

ericbsd wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:07 am Oh for that you can press i when it starts
hunghung

Post by hunghung »

ntp said it has problem resolving freebsd time server 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org, after the system successfully boot into MATE, I checked with ps aux and still see ntpd running. The problem is it seemed ntp can't set date time. When I switch between Windows and GhostBSD, GhostBSD's date time doesn't change automatically like Linux, I've to set it manually myself.
ouaille_aime_scier_

Post by ouaille_aime_scier_ »

hunghung wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:59 pm ntp said it has problem resolving freebsd time server 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org, after the system successfully boot into MATE, I checked with ps aux and still see ntpd running. The problem is it seemed ntp can't set date time. When I switch between Windows and GhostBSD, GhostBSD's date time doesn't change automatically like Linux, I've to set it manually myself.
It seems that ntp daemon starts before the network was active so it complains about not resolving the ntp server. The solution I found on FreeBSD forum is to use chrony in remplacement of ntpd.
hunghung

Post by hunghung »

ouaille_aime_scier_ wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:13 am
hunghung wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:59 pm ntp said it has problem resolving freebsd time server 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org, after the system successfully boot into MATE, I checked with ps aux and still see ntpd running. The problem is it seemed ntp can't set date time. When I switch between Windows and GhostBSD, GhostBSD's date time doesn't change automatically like Linux, I've to set it manually myself.
It seems that ntp daemon starts before the network was active so it complains about not resolving the ntp server. The solution I found on FreeBSD forum is to use chrony in remplacement of ntpd.
It's not a serious problem so I will just set my date time manually, I don't want to mess with anything could effect system's stability. You think people like me should just use Windows or Ubuntu, don't you? The fact is I moved from MX Linux, yet another easy to use Linux distro like Ubuntu :)
ouaille_aime_scier_

Post by ouaille_aime_scier_ »

The problem with ntpd has been raised by FreeBSD users and waiting for a durable solution advanced users have proposed to use a by-pass consisting of the uninstallation of ntpd and the installation of chrony which is well synchronized in the startup order of OpenRC services. The question is not whether we use a distribution because it is easy to use or not it is a matter of personal taste and aptitude. After that, you do as you hear if you prefer to abandon GhostBSD because you can not make it work as you wish despite the advices of the forum, you are totally free, but avoid polluting the forum with questions or comments that bring nothing to anyone.
hunghung

Post by hunghung »

ouaille_aime_scier_ wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:50 pm The problem with ntpd has been raised by FreeBSD users and waiting for a durable solution advanced users have proposed to use a by-pass consisting of the uninstallation of ntpd and the installation of chrony which is well synchronized in the startup order of OpenRC services. The question is not whether we use a distribution because it is easy to use or not it is a matter of personal taste and aptitude. After that, you do as you hear if you prefer to abandon GhostBSD because you can not make it work as you wish despite the advices of the forum, you are totally free, but avoid polluting the forum with questions or comments that bring nothing to anyone.
I think you misunderstood my post. I only said I'm the kind of user don't want to mess with the system too much in feared that it would broken.
You think people like me should just use Windows or Ubuntu, don't you? The fact is I moved from MX Linux, yet another easy to use Linux distro like Ubuntu
This is only a joke. Don't be serious. I really migrated to GhostBSD from MX Linux ;)