Startup Fails on Setting Date via NTP

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
Georgiaboy

Re: Startup Fails on Setting Date via NTP

Post by Georgiaboy »

ericbsd wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:03 am Oh I am not sure if the right driver to isntall is nvidia-driver-340 or nvidia-driver.
Think I should gp back and do this one?

Still hitting the startx to get in.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

did you replace run `nvidia-xconfig`?
Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

@ericbsd

Yes I did. Ran the whole string at the same time that you had given. That's when I did a copy of it and posted the results here for you to take a look at and see what went on.

Thanks

Georgiaboy
Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

@ericbsd

This is what I put into the command lind:

Code: Select all

sudo pkg install nvidia-driver nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
I didn't do anything other than that except to disable the Intel virtualization in the bios.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

your system is not set up to run Nvidia you need to run 'sudo nvidia-xconfig' or run `sudo xconfig`.
Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

@ericbsd
Did that and I wound up with a blank screen after starting startx. So decided to reinstall. Was doing fine until I noticed that this time around I was getting an error about no network card. Worked fine last time. Unable to get it going. Even the icon for any network disappeared from the top panel. So going to reinstall again. As I mentioned before, I can be hard headed when trying to get something to work.

Learn a lot that way at times by not just tossing in the towel every time that something went wrong. If it wasn't for that blank screen and just deciding this time to do a fresh install I'd still be at it. But think that was thing that made me decide to just reinstall it. I really do like Ghostbsd and learning from it. I'm not going to tuck tail and get it off of the laptop. I get used to this then might even put an Xfce on there.

Also figure it won't be too long before you'll be pushing out a fix for that NTP that has the issues going on. So once I get reinstalled and running again I'll hard at things again.

Years ago I was told that Debian wasn't for the likes of me that it would be too hard. Wrong thing to say. Installed and really like it as a Linux OS.

Decided that Ghostbsd was going to be given a shot and am as determined with it as I was/am with Debian.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

The blank screen was maybe due to the Nvidia driver maybe nvidia-driver-340 is the driver. Optimus hardware is not always working like expected on FreeBSD/GhostBSD.
Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

@ericbsd
To be honest I've never liked Bumblebee/Optimus. It didn't really play nice with MX either. So went back to using the Mesa Nouveau instead with MX. Liked it a lot better.

In fact I got used to it on the pc. It's an old gal. You'll love this. It's ah HP Pavilion A1440n MS Windows XP MEdia Center Editio 2005. Yes, I know but this old gal is still running strong for me despite what I've done to her. Only thing is that she didn't like the Ghostbsd dvd's for some reason. It worked on the laptop but not the old gal. Too bad. Would had loved putting it on her as well. But as long as she's happy running Linux then I'll leave her be.

Any rate I now have a fresh install of GhostBSD on the laptop now and starting over with her. Unless the issue returns at a later date the only thing I have looking at me that I know I need to work on is the printer install in which I have a separate post on and also having issues with getting Enigmail to work on TB. I also have a separate posting for it as well. But hey, I keep plugging. It's all a learning experience right? And if you're learning then your mind is active and helping you keep it fresh and young, so they say.

Thanks for the help that you've been giving. If the issue hits me again I'm heading back to this post to see what was done the last time and then remember to do the 340 driver instead. By the way, I never did see the Intel graphics in the bios. I kept looking in there but didn't find it in the Asus bios at all. I figure that eventually you'll be able to push a fix for the issue that individuals have been having with the NTP here as either an update to this version or in the next issue.

I know that I can turn here for great help as thing that I don't understand, can't find anywhere in a previous post here in forum,in manual or by my Duck Duck Go search. Trust me I search everywhere for fixes before asking for help on something. All in learning.

Georgiaboy
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

On the last system update I have fix the NTPD service.