Upgrade Borked System

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
dhenzler

Re: Upgrade Borked System

Post by dhenzler »

Thanks... but will this set things right once again... I lost ability to use the GUI software management tool, Firefox, SQLite and likely some things I have yet to discover. Why a Firefox install would or should remove & replace so much software is boggling. Yes my LINUX roots are showing... I upgrade Firefox in that and get exactly what I ask for.. not kill my system. Thankfully the server continues to work. I am heading off to parts unknown for a few and I'll have access to what I planned.

It's bothersome that the pkg install, doesn't manage the dependencies or at least tell you what to load. My ROOTS are really Sun Solaris... and although I have dumped Oracle Solaris for Linux... the GhostBSD was the ONLY version of BSD I ever had any success with. I was almost ready to say I like it.

Built this system to evaluate ZFS vs BTRFS. BTRFS runs just as fast within my limits to test upload throughput of 10Mbps. The disk I/O is fine... my needs are constricted by what I can get for reasonable $$. Fiber would be nice but at 5X the cost... nay nay

After this disaster.. my trust is broken..

Dave -
Powerwagon77

Post by Powerwagon77 »

I'm not sure what has happened during your updates. I can see a few things that have run afoul on my systems, too, and can only tell you what fixed things for me. I haven't suffered any ill effects from updates, so I may not be in the same boat. I can sympathise with your frustration, though. As for BTRFS, it isn't that much better. I had a mirror go south on me and it was such a pain to get thing back. Red Hat dropped support for it last year, so caveat emptor.

I'm just glad that this distro is here since things like wireless just work.

The 2 commands should 1) examine the installed packages, finding hash sum errors, and then 2) reinstall those packages to, hopefully, straighten things out. Scripts may run as part of the package install, but that shouldn't have a negative impact. Note that I said shouldn't.

So without further ado, with "SMF backup" in hand, here is the proper csh version of what I'd intended.

Code: Select all

pkg check -s |& cut -d: -f1 |grep -v Checking |uniq > /tmp/sad-packages.txt

foreach i (`cat /tmp/sad-packages.txt`)
echo " "
echo $i
pkg install -fy $i 
end
HTH!
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

Firefox & Thunderbird (Mozilla) stopped working reportedly because of SQLite library that wasn't up to date. I have attempted to reload those however the library in the repository must be wrong, or whatever. I have moved to Web Browser and Evolution to resolve my needs. It will do fine. Don't care if it's Mozilla stuff or other as long as it works. Firefox is a little better on my self signed SSL stuff. I'm sure by October someone will have fixed this.
Powerwagon77

Post by Powerwagon77 »

If you want to see if something is out of place and may resolve itself, you could run

pkg update -f
to force an update of the repo metadata, then

pkg check -d
as root. It will check dependencies and install missing ones (according to the man page). The package 'sqlite3' appears to be a dependency for a ton of stuff and that may be the missing package. I was able to nuke the sqlite3 package on this machine and it found and fixed it. The previous command only validated what is already installed.

When I did the metadata refresh on my system, it found 158 new packages. I'll report back after a reboot if my system has issues.

Edit: Everything appears to still be working
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

I'd be curious if Firefox and Thunderbird work...
Powerwagon77

Post by Powerwagon77 »

I just checked and both open just fine for me.
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

That worked for me... Thank You......
Powerwagon77

Post by Powerwagon77 »

Outstanding! I'm glad it worked!!
frogprince

Post by frogprince »

Powerwagon77: I tried this again using bash as noted, but same result.
Please note that I'm running the default shell fish.

Welcome to fish, the friendly interactive shell
mikeb@ghostmate ~> bash
[mikeb@ghostmate /usr/home/mikeb]$ su
Password:
root@ghostmate:/usr/home/mikeb # pkg check -s 2>&1 | cut -d: -f1 |grep -v Checking |uniq > /tmp/sad-packages.txt
Ambiguous output redirect.
Vas you efer in Zinzinnati? Asus F1A75-M, AMD A8-3870 APU, 6 GB DDR3/120 GB SSD, GeForce 210, missing front drive panel just like its owner.
Powerwagon77

Post by Powerwagon77 »

Yes, it was a bit of a jumble. Sorry about that.

Do these, 4 things in order, as root:

pkg update -f

pkg check -d

pkg check -s |& cut -d: -f1 |grep -v Checking |uniq > /tmp/sad-packages.txt  

foreach i (`cat /tmp/sad-packages.txt`) 
echo " " 
echo $i 
pkg install -fy $i 
end
This should have been my original post...