building our source tree

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
ASX

Re: building our source tree

Post by ASX »

The "striped" setup seems to help: :D

This is our best result so far, lets hope it will continue. ;)

BTW: ZFS stripe from 2 partition 1.7 + 1.7 TB, with ccache enabled and some tweaking.
Some further optimization is still possible, but for a test it is good enough.
ASX

Post by ASX »

restarting with 9x5 instead of 7x6
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Very imptressive! 8-)
ASX

Post by ASX »

9x5 doesn't seem to improve the rate, going to 8x6 ;)
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

It just took me a little over 2 hours to do 220 packages on my machine.
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:It just took me a little over 2 hours to do 220 packages on my machine.
That's not bad.
- desktop packages on average are larger than whole ports/pkgs average.
- a single package may take hours, just think at libreoffice, chromium, webkit-xxx ...
- and of course a desktop machine usually is not a like a Xeon server ;)

I started using synth on my desktop, when I though I was ready, started to build "everything" for GhostBSD, on a dedcated server.

Since then I discovered I was not ready, in fact building everything is a different story, you are going to have 26500 pkgs in one directory and this is going to affect overall performance. Similarly, when ccache grows up to 70~100 GB, with millions of files, the underlying filesystem play a big role in killing the performance.

Testing and measuring performance is difficult, because conditions changes nearly every times ... I was fooled many times by partial results ...

The end of the story is:
- UFS doesn't scale (related to ccache)
- FreeBSD kernel has a bottleneck while performing multiple 'umount' (we have to live with that).

I take as a reference the dragonflybsd results:
Dual Xeon E5-2620 (for a total of 16 cores / 32 threads), 128 GB RAM, NVME disks:
1200 pkgs/hour.

A FreeeBSD dev told me he build on a 40 cores system (40 threads really, 2 Ghz CPU), using poudriere and can build at 2800 pkgs/hour. He wanted me to switch to poudriere .... (in my mind I gave him the middle finger). :mrgreen:
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

A FreeeBSD dev told me he build on a 40 cores system (40 threads really, 2 Ghz CPU), using poudriere and can build at 2800 pkgs/hour. He wanted me to switch to poudriere .... (in my mind I gave him the middle finger). :mrgreen:[/quote]
He he he :D

Thanks for all your efforts. I have to get busy on the GhostBSD wiki. ;)
I thought ZFS would be better than UFS for this type of work or were you using Hammer on Dragonfly?

A bit off topic but....
I have been looking for a GTK3 theme for version 11 that looks consistent with all apps. I found a theme called Blackbird on GitHub that looks great. It's a dark theme. GTK2/GTK3.
I haven't found a problem with it yet.
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:I thought ZFS would be better than UFS for this type of work or were you using Hammer on Dragonfly?
No, I'm not using dragonfly right now, (other than a very short test), the report come from M. Dillon, dragonflybsd founder. (also evicted from FreeBSD devs, like Marino).

I have been looking for a GTK3 theme for version 11 that looks consistent with all apps. I found a theme called Blackbird on GitHub that looks great. It's a dark theme. GTK2/GTK3.
I haven't found a problem with it yet.
Yeah, I read some other post from you about that, please continue. ;)
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Will do!
the report come from M. Dillon, dragonflybsd founder. (also evicted from FreeBSD devs, like Marino).
Do you know why they were evicted?
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Will do!
the report come from M. Dillon, dragonflybsd founder. (also evicted from FreeBSD devs, like Marino).
Do you know why they were evicted?
Do You know what is SPS ? Is the only reason I can think of.

About Marino, the official motivation is about "unacceptable social behavior", which clearly is a lie.
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/59705/#post-342578
https://archive.fosdem.org/2014/schedul ... hn_marino/

About Dillon don't know, happened much before, but I got it was something similar.

And with that I lost every trust on FreeBSD management. Literally shooting themselves in their feets.

Note: SPS (small p***s syndrome)