Repository server status?

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
ericbsd
Developer

Repository server status?

Post by ericbsd »

Eh I would like to know what is the status of the server and if the layout of the server is like ASX expect it to be?
kraileth

Re: Repository server status?

Post by kraileth »

ericbsd wrote:Eh I would like to know what is the status of the server and if the layout of the server is like ASX expect it to be?
You mean the new build server, I guess? The repo is on the free VM that is meant to be the EU mirror for the packages. The last information regarding the new server that I got before I went on vacation is that the additional RAM was ordered and would be installed when it arrives (may have happened already, I forgot to check back today since I was busy with the Git repo).
ASX

Post by ASX »

I guess we need to ask about in a more direct way:

when we will be able to use it for real ?
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Just talked to ASX on IRC, here's a quick summary:

The RAM has arrived today in the headquarters. I expect it to arrive in the datacenter tomorrow. I'm going to ask my colleague tomorrow morning what the current status is and when we can expect the server up and running. I'm leaving tomorrow later in the morning for my conference but I will take my work laptop with me. It allows me to connect to the network at work over VPN. So in theory I should be able to do a simple installation as soon as the server is alive. I'll of course keep you posted here.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

I promised to keep you updated as soon as I have any new info and so here it is:

Just talked to my colleague. He got the RAM this morning in the datacenter. Unfortunately it looks like the wrong article was shipped: We wanted ECC RAM and what was shipped is ECC REG. He tried them out anyway but the machine won't recognize them. So they will have to be sent back.

Since this means another delay, I asked him if he could prepare the server as is with 16 GB for now so that work on it can start now instead of waiting for the replacement. He's going to do me the favor. And to compensate for the missing RAM he'll look around if he can find a small spare SSD that we can use for now as an additional caching device. That's definitely better than nothing, I guess.
ASX

Post by ASX »

Unfortunately it looks like the wrong article was shipped
Hardly believable at this point in time.

I cannot hide my disappointment about the whole situation.
The most important reason why we choose to go with you and your company was because of a supposedlly better and timely support, and I'm afraid, but now it is very clear it is not the case.

I will leave any further decision to Eric.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ASX wrote:
Unfortunately it looks like the wrong article was shipped
Hardly believable at this point in time.

I cannot hide my disappointment about the whole situation.
The most important reason why we choose to go with you and your company was because of a supposedlly better and timely support, and I'm afraid, but now it is very clear it is not the case.

I will leave any further decision to Eric.
Good lord, you are not being serious, are you?! I told you that I was going to go to a conference today right from the beginning. Yes, I had hoped to get the whole thing over with on Tuesday so that it wouldn't mean so much pressure. I used my vacation and the hours at night to work on the project, hoping to have Salt ready before the server. I neglected my family and in fact I'm in trouble with my wife over that. And I was supposed to be on the road about 4 hours ago. I don't want to complain, but I did stay so that we can get this done before I leave. Just wrote you a PM with how you can get access.

And to be honest, it's even worse - everything that can go wrong, obviously will. I need Linux to access the IPMI (thanks to sucky Java). I had prepared a VM with Arch for that purpose - and today VirtualBox decided to segfault on me! Now I used a liveCD, setup openvpn, Java and all that stuff in a hurry just to get things done. I got the server up before leaving and we even have an SSD as a placeholder. And still nobody is happy? This sucks. Really.
ASX

Post by ASX »

update:

kraileth has PM'ed me that the machine is now available and I can ssh into.
we had also a little chat conversation but we agreed to continue sometimes later due to his work/conference.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I don't see any of my post, might be good thing.

Mmm what is the plan after the conference about the server?

As I see 16G of Ram is really not much, and this will be solved soon, but yeah I know that shipping take times.

There is a gui who pledge 100 USD on Patreon, the first goal was 100 for a server to build pkgs.

From Patreon we meet this goal.

Also we have to start doing dev metting on Skype or Hangout that is on of the 100$ rewards and all Patron of 100 will participate on those mething. Never thought someone would pledge 100 per month.
ASX

Post by ASX »

kraileth wrote: Good lord, you are not being serious, are you?
As hard as it may sound, we are. We must be, we have collected money and donations, among other things explicitly to make things like "our own repos" happens, it is also one of the reasons why I'm pushing hard toward this goal. (I can add this is also part of the reasons why I came back).
! I told you that I was going to go to a conference today right from the beginning. Yes, I had hoped to get the whole thing over with on Tuesday so that it wouldn't mean so much pressure. I used my vacation and the hours at night to work on the project, hoping to have Salt ready before the server. I neglected my family and in fact I'm in trouble with my wife over that. And I was supposed to be on the road about 4 hours ago. I don't want to complain, but I did stay so that we can get this done before I leave. Just wrote you a PM with how you can get access.
The whole salt related project is a your own idea, I have nothing against that, but you can't use that as an excuse.
And btw, take care of your wife and your family before of GhostBSD, no one for sure will ask you to endanger your own family relations for this free project, certainly not me and I'm sure Eric would say you the same.

Overall I think you need to reconcile your great desire to improve GhostBSD (yes, we can recognize that) with what your free time allow you to do (without endanger yourself).

You (with your company behind) offered us the server, at some price and under the condition it was used. Some things have been explicitly said: physical access as a plus, chance to expand the hardware if required and so on, other things were somewhat implied, overall you let us think that we could have had better support than the one we would have had from SoYouStart. That is why we choosed a somewhat lesser machine proposed from you/your company in place of SoyouStart machine, we traded hw specs in exchange of (timely) support. Am I wrong ?

Also, we understood we were getting support from your company ... or so you told us ... You didn't told us that we will have support from "only" from kraileth if/when possible.

Peraps this is the source of some misunderstandings ?