base.iso request

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
ASX

base.iso request

Post by ASX »

Unfortunately a couple of 10.1-beta2 vbox installations failed ... reason unknown so far, most likely related to partitioning. in fact I was trying to setup a separate /home partition.

Testing installation is a very time consuming process, and I feel the need to speed up that process as much as possible, with the goal to perform more tests.

Let aside the failures I have experienced, most likely in the near future we will need to refine boot loaders settings and similar things, and then perform tests.

Considering the above, I'm strongly inclined toward building a "base-iso", excluding Xorg and the whole DE, to make it as small as possible, fast to build, fast to install.

The "base.iso" is not meant to be redistributed, only to be used internally for testing.

Obviously, we will need a operate directly with pc-sysinstall and manually editing pc-install.cfg.

Alternatively, we could include Xorg, and some light/basic DE, i.e. openbox just to be able to start gbi.

Your comments will be appreciated.
bsdkeith

Re: base.iso request

Post by bsdkeith »

We used to have a lighter version with WM, (Fluxbox/Openbox), but it was too much work (for Eric) trying to keep everything in sync, that was why the project went back to only having one desktop, in 32bit & 64bit.

I understand what you are saying, & I agree it would make testing the basics a lot quicker/easier, but the decision remains with Eric.

(Personally, I don't know why packages are not used instead of compiling from source, but again, it is his choice.)
Linux user since 1999; & now a BSD user.
ASX

Post by ASX »

Hi bsdkeith,

Actually packages are used and installed, the majority at least, only some software is built from source, (mainly PCDM which come from pcbsd, ghostbsd specific settings and ghostbsd specific softwares).

Additionally, recently some work has been done to allow for easily builld alternate ISO, (i.e. Xfce).

The job to make a base iso, right now would be limited to make the right 'packages' list.

Eric will have the final word, of course, but I'm the one that is doing a lot of testing here, that's why I put out my voice. ;)

~~~

BTW, in case you missed it, this is not a public section of the forum, it is restricted to developers and moderators, and it was created explicitly to discuss development related things.

I'm frequently on GhostBSD's IRC channels, but the time zone difference and the volatility of IRC chats suggested to create this area to make somewhat more ' storage permanent' the result of the discussions.

see you on #ghostbsd-dev ;)
bsdkeith

Post by bsdkeith »

Ah, no I didn't realise this was only visible to devs & mods. :)

My being a 'mod' came about awhile ago, I was just an interested passer by at that time, being heavily involved with Linux, & offered to help if I could, as I thought the project had merit.

Unfortunately, I don't have the skills neccessary to be of much use to the project, but as I am still a 'mod', I'll pass by & correct the English grammer & spelling.
Recently, I have come over to BSD more because I don't like the way Linux is going, but I find that I personally prefer OpenBSD on my machines. :lol:
Linux user since 1999; & now a BSD user.
ASX

Post by ASX »

a new ISO config has been started on github - named "mini".
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

You might add Openbox to it, I would like to put Openbox back into the project.
ASX

Post by ASX »

ericbsd wrote:You might add Openbox to it, I would like to put Openbox back into the project.
Right now the focus is on "small size", possibly to fit a CD (700 Mb), and the target is to allow fast tests of boot loaders, hw support, and similar things.

After that, nothing will prevent to use it as a base for additional DE, like openbox, ede, or something else too.