Beta2 July 2015 failure

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
ASX

Beta2 July 2015 failure

Post by ASX »

Hi,

I'm afraid to report we have made a big mistake:

somewhere between FreeBSD-10.1 and FreeBSD-10.1-p4 a nasty bug was introduced:
in short, after an update, the system hangs upon shutdown, when using a ufs + suj filesystem
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/free ... 59232.html

We were aware of the above bug, and because of that we decided to retain kernel and world build from source, to release the new Beta2 ISOs free of the above bug, possibly at level 10.1-p14.

Clearly something went wrong, and the new ISOs from yesterday are affected from the above bug.

I would classify this as a communication failure, this bug was discussed on IRC, but it appears that was not enough.

Now, we need to:
a) fix the problem, either by making new ISOs or by documenting the problem and the possible workaround described in the bug report.
b) changing our way of communicating, to prevent something like that happening again in future
c) I would suggest to introduce some pre-test (to be made from us) before releasing the new ISOs, that is we build, test, and if all OK new ISOs are published.

In case we are going to make new ISOs I would strongly suggest a version name change, either Beta2a or Beta3, that's necessary to avoid further confusion.