A lucky day: EXITERROR: ERROR: Failed to copy files

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
ASX

A lucky day: EXITERROR: ERROR: Failed to copy files

Post by ASX »

Trying to debug the partition installer issues, I decided to make some changes on gbi code, unfortunately it was not possible because while in Live session most dirs/filesystem are mounted read-only.

So, I decided to apply my changes on a installed GhostBSD, apply my changes and then run gbi to install on a second disk.

I was lucky enough to meet the same error tree times in a row, without any clue of why it was failing, pc-sysinstall log didn't help here, because the only thing I was able to see was something like:
pc-sysinstall: Starting Extraction
EXITERROR: ERROR: Failed to copy files
fortunately I had started gbi from a terminal, and scrolling back I was able to see what went wrong: (btw, I had to scroll back 5 thousand lines or so)
rsync: rename "/mnt/.sujournal.oaiPkt" -> ".sujournal": Operation not permitted (1)
What happened is that rsync failed to copy the ".sujounal" file ... I know this is not going to happen when installing from a LiveISO because there is no .sujounal file on a ISO8660 fs, I know also I'm using gbi tool in a unsupported way, still I thought this is an interesting case.

The first thing to note is that rsync safely skip errors and proceed with all other files, then it report there has been some error but it may be too late to see what really happened. This error would not have been tracked down if gbi was launched from an desktop icon.

- A full rsync log would be necessary when errors like this happens.

As a safety measure, I think that ".sujournal" could be added to the exclude list in the rsync command, it will not affect installations from LiveISO and will be prepatory for installation from disk to disk.

An error like the one I have encountered is reported on the bug tracker:
http://issues.ghostbsd.org/view.php?id=16

The error is very similar and can only tell that something went wrong, possibly while running the rsync command.
Obviuosly, as that was an installation from LiveISO/IMG this is not the ".sujournal" like in my case, but it could be something like a "live file" that changes while running a live session, more specifically it could have been changed between rsync start and rsync actually syncing that specific file.

- This is an hint about to stop any unneeded activity while running gbi, i.e. cron daemon, possibly others.