GhostBSD 19.09 is now available

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
chrisfromgreece

I've red that project trident/ trueos ? will move to a completely new system ,How this affects ghostbsd ?

Post by chrisfromgreece »

I've red that project trident/ trueos will move to a completely new system on the new year or late 2019 ! How this affects ghostbsd ?
What they mean that they move ot another operating system? its distro will not be updated anymore this is gonna be the latest update !
Do you know anything about trueos/project trident and what they are trying to do ?
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Future Updates
For long-term stability, Project Trident is hard at work migrating to an alternate operating system as the basis for the project. The migration is planned to be complete in late 2019. A new version of Project Trident based on the different operating system is planned for release in early 2020.

For a small preview, we’re already experiencing faster boot times, daily app updates, newer hardware drivers, and bluetooth support in the new version of Project Trident. We’ll post more information and details about these changes in the near future, so please stay tuned!
ouaille_aime_scier_

Re: GhostBSD 19.09 is now available

Post by ouaille_aime_scier_ »

There is a topic about Project Trident migration on Void Linux : https://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1495
ericbsd
Developer

Re: I've red that project trident/ trueos ? will move to a completely new system ,How this affects ghostbsd ?

Post by ericbsd »

chrisfromgreece wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:43 am I've red that project trident/ trueos will move to a completely new system on the new year or late 2019 ! How this affects ghostbsd ?
What they mean that they move ot another operating system? its distro will not be updated anymore this is gonna be the latest update !
Do you know anything about trueos/project trident and what they are trying to do ?
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Future Updates
For long-term stability, Project Trident is hard at work migrating to an alternate operating system as the basis for the project. The migration is planned to be complete in late 2019. A new version of Project Trident based on the different operating system is planned for release in early 2020.

For a small preview, we’re already experiencing faster boot times, daily app updates, newer hardware drivers, and bluetooth support in the new version of Project Trident. We’ll post more information and details about these changes in the near future, so please stay tuned!
First: Project Trident is Not TrueOS it was the continuation of TrueOS Desktop. TrueOS has become a platform to build os like GhostBSD.

Second: GhostBSD relies on itself with TrueOS(Not Project Trident) code.

Third: TrueOS will remain FreeBSD base.
chrisfromgreece

Post by chrisfromgreece »

So we will have no problems at all ??
Very nice !
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Here is what is my statement to deal with the misunderstandings of what is GhostBSD https://www.ghostbsd.org/node/194
hunghung

Post by hunghung »

ericbsd wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:25 am Here is what is my statement to deal with the misunderstandings of what is GhostBSD https://www.ghostbsd.org/node/194
You said GhostBSD will become a rolling release system. Does this mean I no longer have to do reinstallation whenever newer versions are available? It's so cool :D
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Yes, that is what it means.
hunghung

Post by hunghung »

ericbsd wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:28 am Yes, that is what it means.
The only tool I need to use is pkg with pkg upgrade -f? Update Station only shows 177 updates available but pkg upgrade -f show almost 1G of packages needed to fetch (629 packages) so I think I would go with pkg. I checked freebsd-update still available, if it's no longer being used, please remove it, as it seemed GhostBSD now just like Linux, everything now is in packages and upgrading become very easy with pkg. Please correct me if I'm wrong :D
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Yes, everything is updated from pkg and not freebsd-update, FreeBSD did not deliver on pkg upgrade and I am afraid it will never get done. For removing freebsd-update this is a good idea I will try to remember that.
liam

Post by liam »

under both bootstick & installed OS.
HardenedBSD & FreeBSD run the USB network adapter fine, also run the Intel wifi card just fine.

But the hardware on that Toshiba laptop is evil; it also makes openBSD 6.6 kernel panic with the wifi card driver??

I appreciate we have more than one baseBSD to try on this nasty hardware, all my laptops are from 2015, but Acer/ASUS/Toshiba make some nasty UEFI & integrated Intel video/wifi/audio stuff. I hope we can all have well behaved Ryzen laptops in the future :-)