ericbsd
Developer

GhostBSD is switching it's system base

Post by ericbsd »

ernbsd

Re: GhostBSD is switching it's system base

Post by ernbsd »

Hello, everybody!

Another system that will be devoured by these TrueOS before called PC-BSD, which happened with DesktopBSD? With the complicity, they eliminated him with one stroke of the pen because they wanted to be the only ones para graphical desktop.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

ernbsd wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:16 pm Another system that will be devoured by these TrueOS before called PC-BSD, which happened with DesktopBSD?
@ernbsd You are kidding I hope because TrueOS will no longer release a desktop version it is becoming a fork of FreeBSD. There will be projects like GhostBSD and a new one will emerge from that change soon. So GhostBSD is far from dead.

I am involved in GhostBSD, TrueOS, and FreeBSD. Some people at iX are using GhostBSD, and my manager is involved in GhostBSD, so GhostBSD will live under TrueOS base instead of FreeBSD because there is so much good into all the change coming to the TrueOS project that makes it a better solution. I do test automation at iX, and at one point TrueOS will be battle tested to the point that no other open source project will be.
ernbsd wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:16 pm With the complicity, they eliminated him with one stroke of the pen because they wanted to be the only ones para graphical desktop.
They did not eliminate DesktopBSD, the development was stopped because one guy is not enough to keep a project going and I know all about that. How many time I almost stop developing GhostBSD because I was alone you have no idea how hard it is to balance work, family, a project like GhostBSD and friends and having no help and not much supports.

The second live of DesktopBSD got killed by the new owner of the Domain, I was helping to put back the project back up, and I got kicked out of the forums.
jmaloney
Developer

Post by jmaloney »

ernbsd wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:16 pm Hello, everybody!

Another system that will be devoured by these TrueOS before called PC-BSD, which happened with DesktopBSD? With the complicity, they eliminated him with one stroke of the pen because they wanted to be the only ones para graphical desktop.
What I can say authoritatively is that PC-BSD did not kill DesktopBSD no matter how you choose to look at it. The PC-BSD project did not force the founder of DesktopBSD to stop making DesktopBSD. That was his decision. I think it is sad that he chose not to continue but that was his choice.

The current domain name for DesktopBSD, and website now belongs to someone unrelated to the original project. To rebrand PC-BSD to TrueOS, move towards a rolling release model, integrate OpenRC, and eventually migrate to an appliance building platform like FreeBSD ++ were my ideas. I did not do 100% of the work on my own but I am a driving force behind these efforts. So you can blame me for a lot of the lack of the status quo in what is the current iteration of TrueOS.

I offered to help resurrect DeskopBSD as "malco_2001" to take the project into a new direction before I joined TrueOS, and later teamed up again with Eric to work on GhostBSD. The reason I am here now is that I prefer to work with people who are passionate about improving FreeBSD, and have the same goals.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Does this mean the end of UFS on GhostBSD?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

UFS is still part of the installer.
erdalterzi

Post by erdalterzi »

So can we say that GhostBSD 11.1 will be the last to have freeBSD roots? What will happen right after freeBSD 11.2 officially annaounced? GhostBSD 11.2 or what?
ernbsd

Post by ernbsd »

jmaloney wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:28 am What I can say authoritatively is that PC-BSD did not kill DesktopBSD no matter how you choose to look at it. The PC-BSD project did not force the founder of DesktopBSD to stop making DesktopBSD. That was his decision. I think it is sad that he chose not to continue but that was his choice.
Because they say there was a lot of discrepancy and lack of support between those who provided the software and the age of the patent to those who were the first to deliver it for the graphic desktop. All this has made it difficult for the German creator of DesktopBSD who finally ended up giving up and closing his beautiful newly created project.

ericbsd wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:01 am ....so GhostBSD will live under TrueOS base instead of FreeBSD because there is so much good into all the change coming to the TrueOS project that makes it a better solution.
When PC-BSD or TrueOS has lived under base of FreeBSD? The uncertain future awaits GhostBSD, el software of FreeBSD is the mother who gives the software for all those derivatives. What I don't understand is, because they haven't gone hand in hand at the RELEASE of each new version between the mother and her derivatives like GhostBSD. Another failure has been the lack of drivers software for modern machines and UEFI support.
slughorn

Post by slughorn »

ericbsd wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:46 am See http://www.ghostbsd.org/GhostBSD_is_swi ... ystem_base for detail.
If I use this Link I got the answer:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /GhostBSD_is_switching_its_system_base on this server.

Why?
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

They're doing some work on the website. Adding SSL I think.
Sorry. Please be patient.