Re: GhostBSD is switching it's system base

Post by slughorn »

Thanks. I have seen this thread:viewtopic.php?f=54&t=104. later too. :o
jmaloney
Developer

Post by jmaloney »

ernbsd wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:24 am
jmaloney wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:28 am What I can say authoritatively is that PC-BSD did not kill DesktopBSD no matter how you choose to look at it. The PC-BSD project did not force the founder of DesktopBSD to stop making DesktopBSD. That was his decision. I think it is sad that he chose not to continue but that was his choice.
Because they say there was a lot of discrepancy and lack of support between those who provided the software and the age of the patent to those who were the first to deliver it for the graphic desktop. All this has made it difficult for the German creator of DesktopBSD who finally ended up giving up and closing his beautiful newly created project.

ericbsd wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:01 am ....so GhostBSD will live under TrueOS base instead of FreeBSD because there is so much good into all the change coming to the TrueOS project that makes it a better solution.
When PC-BSD or TrueOS has lived under base of FreeBSD? The uncertain future awaits GhostBSD, el software of FreeBSD is the mother who gives the software for all those derivatives. What I don't understand is, because they haven't gone hand in hand at the RELEASE of each new version between the mother and her derivatives like GhostBSD. Another failure has been the lack of drivers software for modern machines and UEFI support.
I have heard this talk about a patent before. How can someone really patent an open source graphical desktop? Especially with many of the components such as KDE being GPL licensed prohibiting such behavior. I don't see how that would be possible beyond trademarking logos, and branding.

I had tested many DesktopBSD releases in parallel with PC-BSD releases. I recall it being around for a number of years after PC-BSD. I am sure PC-BSD releasing may have demotivated the founder of DesktopBSD. I've never understood the argument if there was one that PC-BSD really ever did any damage to DesktopBSD. It's not as if PC-BSD released, and DesktopBSD suddenly went away. It was still around for a long time. That would be like saying GhostBSD destroyed TrueOS desktop, or PC-BSD. How could that be? It's the authors choice to continue, or not to continue.
Marcelo

Post by Marcelo »

Please do not !!!
Why?
Yo kill the compatibility of GhostBSD with FreeBSD. Yes TrueBSD have advanced things, but the FreeBSD manuals, and how-do's are not compatible.
GhostBSD is an user friendly FreeBSD, pre-configured, for novice and who need a fast basic installation. Yes have a GUI, but is ready for installation of advanced applications, and server software. All can made simple and fast. But with TrueBSD is a long way install this! Many big installations for FreeBSD are applicable to GhostBSD. Test this with advanced university ITC students. All my students have this experience and can confirm this!
Personal, not done with scientific tests, actual GhostBSD is more stable than TrueOS, example Virtualbox host problems, all my home-lab-computer (7) from Intel DualCore EXXXX, Xeon to Kaby Lake and one AMD FX, are full suported by GhostBSD and FreeBSD, but not by TrueOS! The old PC-BSD was better.
When yo need help for maintenance and future development of GhostBSD, send mi a mail and we will help
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Marcelo wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:45 am Please do not !!!
Why?
Yo kill the compatibility of GhostBSD with FreeBSD.

What compatibility?

I build ports of FreeBSD/GhostBSD 11.1 on TrueOS with synth so I have no idea what is your kill the compatibility here.

As a user, I don't see much difference other than OpenRC. I use TrueOS for work done the GhostBSD way and other than OpenRC I don see any difference other than OpenRC. Also at BSDCAN there will be a workgroup on OpenRC for FreeBSD.
Yes TrueBSD have advanced things, but the FreeBSD manuals, and how-do's are not compatible.
FreeBSD is not focusing on Desktop compatibility, it is focusing on Severs compatibility, and TrueOS focus on Desktop compactibility and does not need to focus much on server becuase FreeBSD did most of the work. Also the TrueOS you have try is far from what TrueOS is right now. The last image of TrueOS Desktop released is the last time TrueOS release a Desktop image. TrueOS will focuse on making a stable fork, of FreeBSD that project like GhostBSD(GTK), Trident(QT) and possibly future project have latest drivers and better compatibility with new laptop and desktop hardware.

About the manual I am not sure what point you try to make here.
GhostBSD is an user friendly FreeBSD, pre-configured, for novice and who need a fast basic installation. Yes have a GUI, but is ready for installation of advanced applications, and server software. All can made simple and fast. But with TrueBSD is a long way install this! Many big installations for FreeBSD are applicable to GhostBSD. Test this with advanced university ITC students. All my students have this experience and can confirm this!
With GhostBSD under TrueOS the installer will run the same way it alwasy as been working GhostBSD use pc-sysinstall like PCBSD and TrueOS do so there is no change there. This statement "Yes have a GUI, but is ready for installation of advanced applications, and server software." is kind weird to me because GhostBSD is not focusing on server it is focusing Desktop/Workstation and I will never claim GhsotBSD to run on server because it is not the focus of GhostBSD. All the server I have run FreeBSD or TrueOS Server.
Personal, not done with scientific tests, actual GhostBSD is more stable than TrueOS, example Virtualbox host problems, all my home-lab-computer (7) from Intel DualCore EXXXX, Xeon to Kaby Lake and one AMD FX, are full suported by GhostBSD and FreeBSD, but not by TrueOS! The old PC-BSD was better.
That is possible, but GhostBSD will still supports all the same drivers from the passe and will work with TrueOS to fix problems like that.

I work for Kris anyway so communication is not a problem for both projects.
zinsuddu

Post by zinsuddu »

Great news! I know how tedious and nearly impossible it is to keep up on even a small part of the work of maintaining a "fork", a value-added version, of a packaged OS -- and I was worried that you wouldn't be able to keep GhostBSD going in the long run. I didn't know about your relationship with the folks at ixSystems and about that mutual support. That is good to hear. Congratulations! The infrastructure and automated processes, and the patience -- the never ending merging-- committed to TrueOS and GhostBSD really should make it possible to maintain a desktop FreeBSD. A desktop FreeBSD produced by people who care is needed. I am glad to see that it's being done...

So I would like to hear word soon about the expected timing of the cut-over and a first release. Soon!?
Marcelo

Post by Marcelo »

Erci ask me: "What compatibility?"
This is not an compatibility of the system, this is a practical compatibility this are things like libraries, manuals/instructions, and sets of software, without touch many times are not give the planned function of the software.

Yo have reasons and I'm think you are on the correct way, the unser like me and my students we need to change, not much, we will give FreeBSD and GhostBSD an future.
zezollo

Post by zezollo »

Hello!

What will be the difference between the TrueOS-based GhostBSD and a simple TrueOS system? (in other words: which GhostBSD features will be kept, that are not in TrueOS?)

Thanks for your awesome work!
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

@zezollo TrueOS will no longer offer a Desktop, TrueOS is becoming an embedded, system that we can build quality appliances with and systems like GhostBSD and new projects that will emerge of that change. GhostBSD will stay about the same it has always been, but we will have a comfortable way to upgrade from version to version. The significant difference will be the boot time compared to the current release, OpenRC will be in base, Software wise it will be similar to the previous version.

I am also involved in the TrueOS project, and I can add code related to GhostBSD in TrueOS source code. At one point I should be able to build GhostBSD from TrueOS source code. Kris has created Json templets that can be used to create a profile for different systems. For example, we could make FreeNAS from those a custom templets.

GhostBSD is about GTK framework and GTK Desktop like Mate. The replacement of TrueOS Desktop will be like PCBSD and TrueOS which had always been about the QT framework and Lumina.

@zezollo I am not sure if it answers your question well if not let me know.

And for everyone that is reading this don't hesitate to ask questions.
zezollo

Post by zezollo »

That's ok! Thanks for your explanations :)
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Just for an example https://github.com/trueos/trueos/pull/6 ... 091fc0494e I don't think I would be able to do that with FreeBSD project.