SaltStack states

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
kraileth

Re: SaltStack states

Post by kraileth »

ASX wrote:
kraileth wrote:Mind the tense!
No tense, my English is far less descriptive than what I would like, as a result my sentences may sound like that.
Just realized that "tense" is probably not a good word because it has far too many meanings... :lol: I meant the linguistic one, tense as in "present tense", "past tense" etc ("il tempo" if I remember correctly). What I wanted to say is: "intended" is talking of the past and no longer current.
But the meaning is correct, so far I fail to see any real benefit from saltstack adoption in this context.
Setup a system, for us in GhostBSD is mostly a one time job, and when that would need to be repeated it is very likely that there will be differences, one way or the other.
I admit that this may be the case most of the time. And if there was proper documentation for everything, that would be less of a problem. But imagine anybody quitting the project who built one system in the past. I hate inheriting undocumented stuff and I'm sure just about everybody does. I made a suggestion about documentation but so far this didn't lead anywhere. With salt everything will be next to self-documenting. That should be one of the best reasons right now. Most other benefits are in fact "maybe" benefits just in case the project grows in the future.

Another thing that I'm not sure I've mentioned before - and hesitate to do so now - is monitoring. Salt can also be used to monitor services and even react if some of them go down. Of course it can also notify admins. This is a field that I'd like to explore in the future but I haven't done anything with it, yet. Still I think it would be great to get notifications if the webserver crashed, the server load in extremely high or a jail is stopped.
Maintaining the saltstack setup, in this case, to me look like an unneeded addtional work. I doubt you will be able to change my mind. ;)
It's looking far worse than it actually is. I can setup the SaltStack infrastructure in a couple of minutes (done that before). What is taking a fair bit more of time here is that
a) I want to use jail for everything but had very little experience in that field
b) I'm trying to use "masterless" SaltStack to bootstrap the actual SaltStack infrastructure. This is - I admit that - likely overkill (or perhaps even just a "stunt"). But the result is something that everybody else could use, too, and it's documenting how the whole thing works.
(peraphs I'm already ìimprinted', in fact I built my IT career on top of customization and flexibility: custom systems, custom software, ad hoc services, fast responses and so on.)

I understood you work in a datacenter, I guess that there the use of saltstack could be much more productive, but we are a tiny project with a minimal infrastructure, quite a different environment.
It's definitely a much different environment and I don't claim that we need configuration management or the whole project will blow up. ;)

Customization is nice and interesting. But there's this paradigm that whatever you do you're quite possibly not a snow flake and there are others that have at least similar requirements. And there's this saying: "Good coders write code. Great coders reuse code!". Unless you are only doing extremely specialized work it's very likely actually that you will be able to reuse parts of what you did before. Configuration management allows for this, too.

Just consider this: We continue down the road and put more and more services in jails. More jails means more update work. Updates can potentially harm previously good installations. Always knowing that you can get back to a known working state anytime with minimal effort is - at least for me! - a great thing. But hey, we'll talk about this again in a couple of months. Then you can have some hands on experience with the whole thing and we can make a decision then, ok?
ASX

Post by ASX »

kraileth wrote:Just consider this: We continue down the road and put more and more services in jails. More jails means more update work.
Hee ... why ? where do you see the need of more jails ?
Updates can potentially harm previously good installations. Always knowing that you can get back to a known working state anytime with minimal effort is - at least for me! - a great thing.
Never heard of ZFS snapshorts ? :D
But hey, we'll talk about this again in a couple of months. Then you can have some hands on experience with the whole thing and we can make a decision then, ok?
Just the fact it would need a couple of months doesn't sound right at all to me. The more you try to convince me, the more I see that something is wrong with that idea.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Right now, I don't see the usefulness of SaltStack for the web server, unless we intend to duplicate the web server and for now, I don't see the point of duplicating our server right now. All the web infrastructure is in one jail.

When it comes to mirrors, I do understand SaltStack usefulness, because of we can replicate the mirror without significant effort once it is setup.

Right now everyone should know that we have a release to work on and the software package repository is our priority. I can not build a system untile the repository is ready. Not only to remind everyone that there is a release need to be done one day.

There has been a waste of time on waiting for an answer that turns into having much more waste. I had not expected this delay of the second beta that far.

Now I would recommend you kraileth, to focus at the right place please, we need help to make 11.0 a reality and when time allow we could revisit SaltStack.

I am an Amercian time and focusing on the right place for American matters.

I have been working on the MATE 1.18 ports lately because there is not mush I can do to help ASX and if could have MATE 1.18 ready on time for 11.0 would be neat.

ASX if you have an area you would like help, don't be afraid to speak up.
ASX

Post by ASX »

ericbsd wrote:ASX if you have an area you would like help, don't be afraid to speak up.
Yes, I can think of one are that would need help, it is in writing the upcoming documentation about using our new pkgs repos, the reasons behind our choices and the need to document a path for a successful transition from using the freebsd repos to use our own repos.

kraileth, would you pick up that task ?

However this is not the right thread to discuss about this, therefore I will open a new thread soon,
EDIT: that can be contnued here: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=679#p3568
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ASX wrote:
kraileth wrote:Just consider this: We continue down the road and put more and more services in jails. More jails means more update work.
Hee ... why ? where do you see the need of more jails ?
E.g. for the backup server. Another one for the mailserver that Eric has mentioned an interest in. Things like that.
Never heard of ZFS snapshorts ? :D
Can of course also be used. I'd even like to have BEs in place. But that's not the point. I just wanted to point out what can be done with Salt. Just about every aspect can be solved in other ways, too. This is *nix after all.
But hey, we'll talk about this again in a couple of months. Then you can have some hands on experience with the whole thing and we can make a decision then, ok?
Just the fact it would need a couple of months doesn't sound right at all to me. The more you try to convince me, the more I see that something is wrong with that idea.
*sigh* I really have to watch my every single word, do I? :P I'm pretty sure that I can do the remaining work in a several hours but I don't know when that will be. And even less do I know when you or Eric have time to take a look at it. Since both of you don't seem to be extremely keen on getting it done, I've pushed the assumed schedule way back. That's all.
ericbsd wrote:Right now, I don't see the usefulness of SaltStack for the web server, unless we intend to duplicate the web server and for now, I don't see the point of duplicating our server right now. All the web infrastructure is in one jail.
To be honest, I also don't see load balancers, geo-redundant CDNs and stuff like that comming. However doing proper backups alone is something that I'd really like to have and I think that this can be simplified. But let's talk about that again when the time has come.
When it comes to mirrors, I do understand SaltStack usefulness, because of we can replicate the mirror without significant effort once it is setup.
Yes, it could make things pretty simple for people who might be interested in providing additional mirrors.
Right now everyone should know that we have a release to work on and the software package repository is our priority. I can not build a system untile the repository is ready. Not only to remind everyone that there is a release need to be done one day.

There has been a waste of time on waiting for an answer that turns into having much more waste. I had not expected this delay of the second beta that far.

Now I would recommend you kraileth, to focus at the right place please, we need help to make 11.0 a reality and when time allow we could revisit SaltStack.
I wanted to test the next alpha and report findings but I failed to build an iso today. Since I never found any time in the evenings in the last two (?) weeks, I don't know what the status of the repositories is and I didn't want to start a thread about that. That's why I thought I'd continue working on what I can actually do. But if there's anything else, I'm of course for prioritizing things correctly.
I have been working on the MATE 1.18 ports lately because there is not mush I can do to help ASX and if could have MATE 1.18 ready on time for 11.0 would be neat.
That's great to hear! I haven't been too happy with the fact that FreeBSD is stuck on 1.12 and 1.14 never came to be even though there's a public repo on the net that holds ports for it (which do have issues, however). I had hoped that we could import 1.16 since that's the last version that can be built with gtk2 or gtk3 support whereas 1.18 now requires gtk3. I've seen MATE 1.18 on my Arch Linux VM and I don't know yet if I like it. So skipping 1.16 altogether is a bit of a pitty but on the long run we'll have to settle for 1.18 anyways.

Just because I'm interested in the matter: Where do you keep those ports? Is a lot of patching needed to make it run properly on FreeBSD? And can I help test the new MATE desktop?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

There is the repository https://github.com/ericbsd/freebsd-port ... /mate-1.18 the only problem right now is CAJA on the desktop is not starting when MATE is not starting.