How to use single user mode?

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
Harion

How to use single user mode?

Post by Harion »

Hello,

I'm stuck with GhostBSD. It does not log my user anymore (mate session). I know what to do to repair: I just need to delete a line in ~/.xinitrc.

The problem is when I boot in single user mode, it's read-only. Tried "mount -u -rw /" and some variants with no luck. The disk stays in read-only mode.

Any idea?
ericbsd
Developer

Re: How to use single user mode?

Post by ericbsd »

When you are at the login you can do Ctrl+Alt+F2, but if you have latest Nvidia card like me you might not work for you like me.

So there is also the single user like you tried.

Code: Select all

mount -u /
/rescue/vi /home/usr/.xinitrc
mount -a
exit
Harion

Post by Harion »

Thanks. You saved my install. The Ctrl+Alt+F2 at the slim login works. Once there, I was able to login as root and I did the job.

However, all I did in single-user mode (including you wrote here) never changed the read-only mode. So, a question remains: what is the utility of single-user mode if it's impossible to mount the system in write-mode to correct the problems?

Thanks again anyway. I have a debt. ;)
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Just a guess but I think it's

mount -u /
Harion

Post by Harion »

Hi,

I tried "mount -u/" but, as I expected, the syntax is incorrect since '/' isn't a valid option. A space must lie between 'u' and '/'.

Then, I typed "mount -u /" and you know what? It worked. I ever tried that, yet... Something escaped to me (and sorry to make you loose your time about this). For the behaviour is now as the documentation says.

Thanks guys.
Hecktor

Post by Hecktor »

ericbsd wrote:When you are at the login you can do Ctrl+Alt+F2, but if you have latest Nvidia card like me you might not work for you like me.
Not sure if it will be the same for you, but for me, adding this line to the /boot/loader.conf fixed the nvidia issue:
hw.vga.textmode=1
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Thanks, Hecktor I was not aware of this.