Cofiguring with ZFS on older systems

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
bmcdonaldjr

Cofiguring with ZFS on older systems

Post by bmcdonaldjr »

It seems like selecting a ZFS install give me GPT based partitions even though the hardware only supports MBR, rendering the system non-boot-able.

Am I doing something wrong?

Best,

Bob
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Cofiguring with ZFS on older systems

Post by ericbsd »

Hi, Bob,

GhostBSD 11.1 installer only supports GTP with ZFS.
bmcdonaldjr

Post by bmcdonaldjr »

hmmm... Did I miss that somewhere on the pages of the installer or was it in some help documentation?

Best,

Bob
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Documentation is outdated for years.
Hecktor

Post by Hecktor »

Is it the plan to stay with that for next version?

Because if it is, that is a show stopper and there is really no use trying GhostBSD at all.

Other systems require MBR, and even TrueOS installs and works fine in MBR. I was going to maybe see if GhostBSD had something to offer as you mentioned you were going to base GhostBSD off of TrueOS. TrueOS is pretty buggy, so it would be interesting to see if you could make something that kind of worked, but without MBR support it is of no use to even try.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

MBR support will come it was just not working for us at the time using grub, and with the lack of time, we did not support MBR with ZFS it for 11.1.

And about TrueOS I have been using TrueOS Unstable for work for almost 4 months and I run it on an even less stable repository for testing updates before they go on the unstable repository. Also, we will not be using most of TrueOS tool because we support UFS and ZFS, we might also continue to release normal FreeBSD release that would be to be determined in the future.
Jes

Post by Jes »

ericbsd wrote:we might also continue to release normal FreeBSD release that would be to be determined in the future.
That would be great! Thanks
Hecktor

Post by Hecktor »

Both of those are good news, the FreeBSD and the MBR.

Also glad to hear about not using the the TrueOS tools or openrc.

Looks pretty promising. I was impressed with your system until you dumped 32 bit. So looks like I'll go for FreeBSD there, but I'll try your stuff for 64 bit.

Also happy to see the UFS support. Not that I would use it, but I like the ability to choose. I don't mean to be pushy, but did you have a ballpark figure when your next release will happen?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I did not say I am dropping openrc, I am saying we build on top of the TrueOS Core not desktop or server version, TrueOS core is Basically FreeBSD current with openrc and LibreSSL.
Hecktor

Post by Hecktor »

Ahh, true. I guess I was reading the January post and it didn't really say not use it, just no commitment to using it.

Now I remember my issue. It was that ZFS was only supported on a whole disk(which for me it didn't matter if GPT was used in that case). Will the next release allow ZFS on a partition?

If you do go the openrc, that will be good for getting things working. As a lot of their issues are due to it right now. But I guess we'll see how your distro looks with it enabled.