Ram

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
Aquila

Ram

Post by Aquila »

Hello,
I installed Ghost 11 Xfce, after installation I noticed that the ram always travels around 650 mb, only with the desktop. It's normal??
Opening the process manager I saw that "idle" is about 400%.
The laptop is a Lenovo X230.
ASX

Re: Ram

Post by ASX »

Aquila wrote:Hello,
I installed Ghost 11 Xfce, after installation I noticed that the ram always travels around 650 mb, only with the desktop. It's normal??
Opening the process manager I saw that "idle" is about 400%.
The laptop is a Lenovo X230.
Hello,

650 MB measured how ? Total ram used ? Is your system using UFS or ZFS ?

Anyway, remeber that a good OS should use as much memory as possible, (kernel + user apps + cache/buffers), where the cache is a sort of "elastic" item, can be reduced as needed to allow room for other apps, otherwise it tend to expand and use all free mem.

My system, 8 GB physical RAM, running only xfce, hexchat and conky: (using ZFS, cof course)
Mem: 68M Active, 191M Inact, 14M Laundry, 6577M Wired, 997M Free
ARC: 5269M Total, 1835M MFU, 2961M MRU, 16K Anon, 76M Header, 397M Other
4558M Compressed, 6783M Uncompressed, 1.49:1 Ratio
Swap: 4096M Total, 1044M Used, 3052M Free, 25% Inuse
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Hello
I uninstall Ghost because I need to compile Gimp 2.9.6 but there are libraries (babl, gegl, etc.) that are "obsolete". If you explain what I can do to install the latest ones, I can give it another chance.
Thank you
ASX

Post by ASX »

Aquila wrote:Hello
I uninstall Ghost because I need to compile Gimp 2.9.6 but there are libraries (babl, gegl, etc.) that are "obsolete". If you explain what I can do to install the latest ones, I can give it another chance.
Thank you
I see that Gimp 2.9.6 has been release at the end of August, and if it is not already available in FreeBSD/GhostBSD, likely the reason is exactly ecause of "missing dependencies" as you have noted yourself.

FreeBSD ports are managed on a volountary basis and "porting" is an activity that consist in fixing/pathing the sources to fit the FreeBSD environment.

What you can do is porting the missing dependencies yourself, if you are inclined to do that, and eventually provide the patches upstream so that they will become widely available.

There is a guide about "porting" software: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO88 ... -handbook/
and you can also get help in FreeBSD forum.

If you don't do that yourself, you could ask to do that to each respective port maintainer, in example, about gegl the maintainer is gnome@FreeBSD.org

Code: Select all

https://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=gegl&search=go&num=10&stype=name&method=match&deleted=excludedeleted&start=1&casesensitivity=caseinsensitive