New GhostBSD 10.3 pkgs repositories

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
ASX

New GhostBSD 10.3 pkgs repositories

Post by ASX »

GhostBSD project is making a big step ahead, by implementing our own pkgs repositories.

While this step was mainly planned for the upcoming GhostBSD 11, we though that it would have been great to implement that also for the current 10.3 version, and we did it.

We will post detailed instructions about "how" to switch, in the appropriate forum section.
ASX

Re: New GhostBSD 10.3 pkgs repositories

Post by ASX »

Instructions and follow up: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=715
Jes

Post by Jes »

Hi:

I'd like to test the new repository but i have a lot of fear my machine breaks because a lot of things are running smoothly right now. Anyone can give some feedback about:

- virtualbox. Any issue?, what about suspend/resume the virtual machines?
- mysql
- nginx
- grafana
- elasticsearch + kibana
- samba4
- php / php_fm
- rabbitmq

One other thing. What if there is a missing package in the ghostbsd repository? has it to be built from ports?

And the last one. In order to upgrade to GhostBSD 11 when released, must I have the system aligned against ghostbsd repository? Can I upgrade to GhostBSD 11 with the system aligned against FreeBSD repository?

Thanks in advance
ASX

Post by ASX »

Jes wrote:Hi:

I'd like to test the new repository but i have a lot of fear my machine breaks because a lot of things are running smoothly right now.
You should not fear a repo change, because you can switch repo back and forth and run "pkg upgrade -f" each time, which would reinstall all packages.
Additionally we have setup and additional "previous repository" exactly to provide a quick rollback in the eventuality something go wrong: if you will find that after the upgrade something is not working as expected, you can switch repo from "test" to "current" and get the previous round of packages, if that also fail you can go back to "previous" repo. (they are built approximately every two/three weeks).
Anyone can give some feedback about:

- virtualbox. Any issue?, what about suspend/resume the virtual machines?
- mysql
- nginx
- grafana
- elasticsearch + kibana
- samba4
- php / php_fm
- rabbitmq
We have in our repos the whole freebsd ports, plus our own ports, with very few exception: notably openoffice, and a few ports that doesn't build (broken), I'm sorry we can't test each package individually.
One other thing. What if there is a missing package in the ghostbsd repository? has it to be built from ports?
There should not be, except in case the package doesn't build, but that is no different in FreeBSD repository.
And the last one. In order to upgrade to GhostBSD 11 when released, must I have the system aligned against ghostbsd repository? Can I upgrade to GhostBSD 11 with the system aligned against FreeBSD repository?

Thanks in advance
Upgrading to 11.1 is a multiple steps job, of course will will make a detailed post when ready.
Must be noted that we have repos available for 10.x and separately we have repos for 11.x ;)
All in all the upgrade procedure is identical to that used and documented for FreeBSD.

I can add also that we have worked to deploy our own repos exactly to allow the upgrade, which was not possible (or at least was not easy) using the FreeBSD repos, due to our own software not being available in FreeBSD repos.
Jes

Post by Jes »

Understood. Thanks!
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi jes, ASX

I fully understand Your "fear" Jes.
After switching almost everything from Linux to GhostBSD 10.3 now, I m pretty happy with performance and stability and was 'reluctant' to do the repository change yet but I ll do it same way as with testing the 11alpha version: I will do a seperate installation on USB stick, try the GhostBSD repo configuration and see.
and when it s time for the final GhostBSD 11 version, I ll put this on my 2nd laptop I now work with mostly (because the 1st one is getting old ;-) )
But so far, with desktop, multimedia, system admin AND database admin via PHP as well as surfin/email, it works pretty well, congratulations! :D

best
Achim
Jes

Post by Jes »

Thanks Achim...

I've been thinking about clone the harddisk before moving to GhostBSD repositories.... the another disk it's not same size, maybe the filesystem partition are equally sized (250Gb SSD one disk, and 240Gb the second SSD). If I can clone the filesystem then I'll move. If not probably I'll wait.

There are simply too much things working together to configure another system. I have backups but reinstall again could be a nightmare.

So, I'll be listening all your feedback, and if I can test the repositories in another or in the main one I let you to know.

Thanks again Achim, ASX
ASX

Post by ASX »

hi there,

your fears about upgrade and package repository switch, need to disappear:
a) consider that the "system" in GhostBSD is exactly the same as FreeBSD, and usually is updated either by update-station or from command line

Code: Select all

freebsd-update ... fetch install ...
The packages so far has been provided from FreeBSD repositories, with alternate luck, FreeBSD provide two sets of packages:
"quarterly" and "latest"
you can switch repository, by simply adding a pkg repos config file, you can also configure multiple repos, and activate one or more of them.
From command line you can choose which repository to use using the -r option of pkg:

Code: Select all

pkg upgrade -f -r GhostBSD
pkg upgrade -f -r FreeBSD 
The "-f" option tell pkg to reinstall all pkgs, and that is higly suggested when switching repo.

GhostBSD provide three repos:
"test" - the one we use to test if all is OK, yeah we devs do "some" testing ourselves, but it is not possible to test each single pkg.
"current" - once we devs are satisfied with the test repo, we more "test" to current and build a new test repo, yeah, we are always ahead.
"previous" - upon next build, we shift "current" to "previous", and "test" to "current", and we build another new "test" repo.

It means that we have always at least three repos, which reflect three different point in time, say "test"=few days agi, "current"=two weeks ago, "previous"=1month ago.

As said above you can easily switch between all repos, at any time, the base "system" remain untouched, that assure the system remain bootable and working,
and a "pkg upgrade -f" command is all it take to reinstall all packages.

I would suggest you a further reading to get confidence with pkg managemnt:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/49694/
Jes

Post by Jes »

Thank you very much ASX. Now I'm a little more determined to test GBSD repositories. Now it's a matter of time.

Thanks so very much.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Jes, ASX et al

yeah, I ### well know what You mean!
time is luxury these days; but will def. give it a try after our holiday, so in sept. I ll be smarter on this... ;)

but with Pidgin now running my skype stuff, about 95% is possible on GhostBSD now!
except Netflix, some games (I play once a half year lol) and my emails (which is still administered under Linux (lazyness) everything else works quite fine.
ok, wish I could use Turboprint on BSD as well but have to test as a linux binary with it later, so far CUPS does a quite fair job, too! :)

cheers
Achim