GhostBSD XFCE

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
hank2000

Re: GhostBSD XFCE

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:Glad it worked! And no, it is not candid camera, are issues with software updates of some sort.
boy, oh boy, that keeps a tricky thing indeed! but: hope dies at last! ;)
well: everyone at (Ghost)BSD: have a nice and pleasant Easter festivities and catch You next week!

cheers
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:well: everyone at (Ghost)BSD: have a nice and pleasant Easter festivities
Happy Easter!
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

hank2000 wrote:Thank You ASX, same to Eric!

last feedback before Easter weekend:

- 99% running again, 'xfce4-notes' is dead after upgrade, will have to find out why...
(something about 'missing proxy connection' and several error messages with 'GTK-lib xxx and NULL' when started via command, closes too quickly to read all)
- switched from web-based MariaDB-Admin to 'mycli' on commandline for the moment; saves a bit RAM and boosts my ability to understand things better without a "shining graphics tool" ;-)

best
Achim

Hey Achim. I reinstalled 10.3 to see what would happen. I didn't install any software except of course for updates. The only other change I did was install the source code before updating. My xfce4-notes works fine.
But the update didn't go perfectly I think. I lost the update station. Maybe it will come back. I don't know what happened to your xfce4-notes. Did you install the source code?
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

NevilleGoddard wrote:
hank2000 wrote:Thank You ASX, same to Eric!

last feedback before Easter weekend:

- 99% running again, 'xfce4-notes' is dead after upgrade, will have to find out why...
(something about 'missing proxy connection' and several error messages with 'GTK-lib xxx and NULL' when started via command, closes too quickly to read all)
- switched from web-based MariaDB-Admin to 'mycli' on commandline for the moment; saves a bit RAM and boosts my ability to understand things better without a "shining graphics tool" ;-)

best
Achim

Hey Achim. I reinstalled 10.3 to see what would happen. I didn't install any software except of course for updates. The only other change I did was install the source code before updating. My xfce4-notes works fine.
But the update didn't go perfectly I think. I lost the update station. Maybe it will come back. I don't know what happened to your xfce4-notes. Did you install the source code?
Hi Neville

Happy Easter my friend!

yeah, I tried both the binary package and re-installing from ports after doin the "quaterly upgrade", both failed with starting notes-plugin and lots of error messages from dbus and gtk-lib and others...
some "assertion - src= NULL!" errors getting as well...
except 'xfce4-notes' now got everything running smoothly again, incl. CUPS + printing, thx to ASX!!
so, hoping, til next major upgrade, everything will be fine, and yes: I said, til after Easter, just couldn t resist...while listening to the famous Radio Caroline broadcast from "our" radioship Ross Revenge! :geek:

cheers
Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Thanks, Achim!
Happy Easter and Good Luck!
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there,

as it became pretty quiet here I thought I say "hello" and see, if everybody is still alive! :lol:
as I managed to get more stability in start sequence, sound and updates (except for this annoying dependence mycli/mysql56) I m pretty happy so far.
The only thing I did NOT manage to change was Seamonkey from english to german, maybe an add. language package is necessary under BSD, I don´t know?
But I m looking fwd to the next version 11.0 with Xfce and hopefully less dependent packages with our own repositories...
Good luck on this one and let me know, if I can help any further, as long as deeper programming knowledge is not required, just started with perl now, but quite at the beginning ! ;)

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:Hi there,

as it became pretty quiet here I thought I say "hello" and see, if everybody is still alive! :lol:
Hello Achim,
may be it look quiet, but really is not!

Lot of things are going on behind the public scene, from building up our own repos for GhostBSD-11 (that so far, from our limited tests is working well), to fixing the reintroduced "lightdm" in alternative to "slim", up to the decision to build our own repos for GhostBSD 10.3 too (in progress right now).

We are reworking our own ports, to fit the new architecture, and overall we are pretty pleased with the results.

As soon as possible we will also start to deploy weekly ISOs, that will make testing of new releases easier and possibly allow for faster the development cycle.

So yes, we are alive and kicking! even if not very visible. :)

Thanks to anybody that is supporting us.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi ASX

sounds pretty good, is this switch to own 10.3 repos working seemlessly or do I have to make any adjustments, main updates etc. for it?
for 11.0 i ll look fwd to the isos and will test them again via USB stick as before.
so still good news on the BSD front, superb!

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:Hi ASX

sounds pretty good, is this switch to own 10.3 repos working seemlessly or do I have to make any adjustments, main updates etc. for it?
It will require to setup a config file for the new repo, but we will publish detailed instructions as soon as it will be ready. (building a repo require 60 hours, most likely will be ready the next Friday/Saturday or so).

This is a screenshot from our builder-server, currently building pkgs for GhostBSD 10.3
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

pretty exciting and good to know.
thanks very much for the details, looking fwd to next steps then.

cheers
Achim