Version 11.0

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
hank2000

Re: Version 11.0

Post by hank2000 »

ericbsd wrote:PreApha4 is our since last week. And apha1 is coming for this weekend.
Hi Eric

perfect, then I ll wait for alpha1 !
10.3 is now more or less complete for me: just trying to get Perl-IDE "Padre" running (someone set probs with threads and perl?) and need to get MySQL server running from start, then I m there! :D

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Eric, ASX

as it always takes a bit longer on the IRC chat for answers I "experimented" a bit longer today and finally managed to get along with Apache24, PHP, Adminer and MySQL on GhostBSD 10.3.
Pfuu, for a Linuxer this was a tricky one but sticking penetrant to this helps... LOL
Seems it was a mixture of authorization settings, wrong paths AND missing php-functionality in httpd.conf!
But finishing this last detail, right now, I have everything needed for a full working GhostBSD! :D

Tomorrow I will try to install the new 11.0 alpha on my 2nd netbook and give some feedback.
best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there,

after getting Padre working now on Ghost 10.3 as well (wrong starting script in locker.pm) I tried another install with 11Alpha today.

First getting the live DVD working with X was a bit tricky:
with default start it got til mouse curser with X, then stopped.
with Intel forced, it got even less far, it was trying to configure X then hanging with black screen...
several attempts with default values then suddenly worked on my Nokia Booklet with Intel chipset and 1GB RAM!

I chose Live DVD to boot and then installed on an USB stick like before.
That went without problems, here, too, took the defaults and let go.
Tomorrow will try ports and some compiling....
Anything else in particular You are interested in as feedback?

best
Achim :|
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Yea Did try to do something to fix a problem for some user, but it did cause problem for me and other user, I did revert to the way 10.3 was booting. it will be in the next.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ericbsd wrote:Yea Did try to do something to fix a problem for some user, but it did cause problem for me and other user, I did revert to the way 10.3 was booting. it will be in the next.
alright, no prob! :)
at least managed to find a successful way to get it installed!
but BSD (10.3) keeps "tricky" for me:

- pathes and privilegies differ from Linux, for ex. the Alias directive does not work same, Linux: starts with "mywebsql" in URL, on Ghost I had to take "index.php" and I m still figuring out, why, cause when trying the Linux "way", it still says on BSD "forbidden to access /mywebsql/ on this server"!
although I set the Alias directive and Directory settings as explained in the Handbook
maybe I STILL overlook a conf detail somewhere... :roll:
- much better than on openSuse works updating and package dependecies with pkg and OctoPkg!
- and I told You already about the stunning performance, with JUST 1GB, in this case with 10.3!

I will try with compiling as said before, now that I even have my fave admin tool for MySql configured now: MyWebSQL! :D
Tog. with "Padre" I will concentrate on Office, DB-admin-learning, Perl and Internet radio on Ghost, and keep a bit Internet surfing and playing on Linux, JUST because of the bigger screen there! :oops:

will get back beginning next week!
best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ok,

as I m stuck with myWebSQL + PHP on GhostBSD 10.3 I ll concentrate on solving my last obstacle there and wait for the final 11.0 version...
think that s better for the mom.

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

hank2000 wrote:ok,

as I m stuck with myWebSQL + PHP on GhostBSD 10.3 I ll concentrate on solving my last obstacle there and wait for the final 11.0 version...
think that s better for the mom.
BTW: the switch to myWebSQL from Adminer was because both show the same behaviour with my Apache configuration, after login screen there s a switch to the "file tree" in the browser instead of the main window, when reloading the index.php, the main window then appears!
still have no clue why this happen, but parallel to this will try more with the new Ghost 11alpha in next days...

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

well, despite still stuck with this Apache/Form problem on ghostBSD 10.3 it looks pretty good and bright with 11.0alpha!
managed to install, update and install from the /ports, have a superb cream editor running now and will next try with VLC player...
but I encountered a performance loss compared to my 10.3 installations as RAM is always above 50% and when starting xterm is rockets up to 80%?
and is it normal with login and XFCE that, when I mistyped and then type right I get into my desktop but can only logoff but not reboot or shutdown?
have to unhook the "save session" and when logging off press strg-alt-del to get a reboot.

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote: but I encountered a performance loss compared to my 10.3 installations as RAM is always above 50% and when starting xterm is rockets up to 80%?
Please show out command and output you use, otherwise it is difficult to interpret your results.
Ram should be used as much as possible, and it does on my system, (mostly for cache), then cache is fred as needed. ;)
and is it normal with login and XFCE that, when I mistyped and then type right I get into my desktop but can only logoff but not reboot or shutdown?
Hmm ... didn't noticed, but I will make some test about that.
Note that you can always shutdown by "acpi", by simply pressing brefly the power button. ;)
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

update:

donnow what "magic powder" You included in last update-round but after running "update station" for a lot of updates performance became quite normal now, even Firefox keeps between 35% and 55% RAM usage now in idle mode...on a weak 1GB netbook ;)
the localisation runs really good, too; german menues and window titles are superb.
looks really promising!

best
Achim

BTW: possible, we wrote same time ASX??
now completely confused; let me save this and see what s comin from You.... hehehe
and yes: I know the acpi-"version" of shutdown LOL