Sound issues 10.3

Support with sound and multimedia cards on GhostBSD
webwalker

Sound issues 10.3

Post by webwalker »

Looks like I'm not the only one having an issue with sound. NO sound in firefox on either youtube, or facebook videos. I can make the sound work in Opera on youtube, but nothing on facebook. I'll assume this has something to do with the version only being 12.16, and Opera is now up to 37. I can play music with 'gnome player', but it's the same situation with the sound.

Here is what is happening, when the sound does work. (through 'Sound Preferences') I can choose on 'Output' the 'Realtek ALC892 (Rear Analog 7.1 Stereo) (the only one that seems to work) I can adjust the volume there, but not from the panel 'Sound' icon. Everytime I get what sound 'Output' that works chosen in the 'Sound Preferences' and close it, it doesn't save what I chose and I have to choose it again when I open it back up. Otherwise, it's not saving what I pick. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the 'Sound' icon on the panel not changing the volume or not. Something is definitely amiss, but I don't know where to look. I haven't seen anything here in the forums that really helps. I also went over to the FreeBSD forums to see what they had posted, and there didn't seem to be anything there that I thought would help. If anyone has had this same issue and was able to resolve it, and it wasn't posted here, would they please reply with some ideas?

Thanks,

Webby :)
ASX

Re: Sound issues 10.3

Post by ASX »

I have no solution at hand, but I can try to help isolating the issue(s), which honestly look confused considering the amount of information you are reporting:
webwalker wrote:Looks like I'm not the only one having an issue with sound. NO sound in firefox on either youtube, or facebook videos. I can make the sound work in Opera on youtube, but nothing on facebook.

Possiibly one of the two is using html5 and the other not.
Possibly opera is using one sound subsystem and my be firefox a different one.
I'll assume this has something to do with the version only being 12.16, and Opera is now up to 37. I can play music with 'gnome player', but it's the same situation with the sound.
I can not make any use of the above.
Here is what is happening, when the sound does work. (through 'Sound Preferences') I can choose on 'Output' the 'Realtek ALC892 (Rear Analog 7.1 Stereo) (the only one that seems to work)
Fine, we know the hardware is working to some extent.
I can adjust the volume there, but not from the panel 'Sound' icon.
And this could be a problem for itself, separated from the problems above.
Everytime I get what sound 'Output' that works chosen in the 'Sound Preferences' and close it, it doesn't save what I chose and I have to choose it again when I open it back up.
This is another problem too ... eventually.
Otherwise, it's not saving what I pick. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the 'Sound' icon on the panel not changing the volume or not. Something is definitely amiss, but I don't know where to look. I haven't seen anything here in the forums that really helps. I also went over to the FreeBSD forums to see what they had posted, and there didn't seem to be anything there that I thought would help. If anyone has had this same issue and was able to resolve it, and it wasn't posted here, would they please reply with some ideas?

Thanks,

Webby :)
Well, you could try to face a problem at once, possibly post the problems separately, focus on one thing at a time.

One thing we already know, is that the hardware is working.

Next, try to use different sound apps, and report if all apps behave the same way or not, in case check the options for each apps, and however report the ones that are not working.

Try different audio formats ... could be a decoder is missing ... and report what work and what not.

If something don't work, like a youtube link or a facebook link try to post the links, so we can try the exact same video.
webwalker

Post by webwalker »

Thanks ASX. When you say different sound apps, do you mean to try using 'alsa' instead of 'pulse audio'? They're both installed, but I wouldn't know how to get alsa to work. Maybe that's not what you're saying though.

I played an music mp3 and it had the same issues. I could adjust the volume in 'Sound Preferences' but not at the sound icon. I'll try to experiment more on what you posted when I can get more time.

Thanks,

Webby
ASX

Post by ASX »

No, I was referring to something like trying different appliactions like VLC, SMplayer and/or others which honestly I don't know ... I know there are many.

There is a GUI package manager that you can use to install additional packages, "octopkg".
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Webby would you give me your the output of:

Code: Select all

mixer
from a terminal?
webwalker

Post by webwalker »

Mixer vol is currently set to 50:50
Mixer pcm is currently set to 100:100
Mixer speaker is currently set to 74:74
Mixer line is currently set to 1:1
Mixer mic is currently set to 67:67
Mixer mix is currently set to 74:74
Mixer rec is currently set to 35:35
Mixer igain is currently set to 0:0
Mixer ogain is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: mic
macondo

Post by macondo »

Here's what I posted on the FreeBSD forums.
Although I didn't have to do anything in GhostBSD, just unmute the channels in alsamixer and my keybindings in IceWM took over.

FreeBSD without audio
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/58554/

Check what I did in DragonFlyBSD.
Desktop Celeron with 4 gigs RAM - icewm/jwm/ratpoison - FreeBSD 11.1/GhostBSD 11.1
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid
ASX

Post by ASX »

macondo wrote:Here's what I posted on the FreeBSD forums.
Although I didn't have to do anything in GhostBSD, just unmute the channels in alsamixer and my keybindings in IceWM took over.

FreeBSD without audio
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/58554/

Check what I did in DragonFlyBSD.
Thanks for your feedback, and ... I'm increasingly interested in trying DragonFly ... ;)
wiredrunner

Post by wiredrunner »

Get your mixer levels to 100 - from terminal 'mixer' then change whichever are less than 100 to 100 ie mixer vol 100 etc

I'm using a usb head set so I want pcm4 to be default - from terminal - sudo sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=4 You need to add that to etc/sysctl/conf to make the change permanent.

This below works for me when the volume is too low.

sudo sysctl hw.snd.vpc_0db=1

I'm still working on this with searches etc and making the changes permanent so I don't have to do this on every boot - I wish the 'sound' volume control actually worked though.
ASX

Post by ASX »

Please see if you can get some hint from this thread, specifically about: sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=5.
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/57969/