Can I help?

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
Seirex

Can I help?

Post by Seirex »

Hello I'm a software development student and I would like to get some experience working in a professional environment. GhostBSD is one of my favorite operating systems, I would like to know how to go about contributing. I am aware that there are plenty of experienced programmers around and having a student help might not be practical. Thank you for your time.

I have taken classes in the following, Ruby, C#, HTML5 CSS, JavaScript, SQL, PHP. I have experience with Photo Shop and Gimp, Emacs, Microsoft Visual Studio, Microsoft Management Studio. I am by far not an expert in any thing but I am willing to learn, if your willing to be patent with me.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Can I help?

Post by ericbsd »

There is always room for people to to learn and helping on this project, I started this project without any knowledge in programming.
ASX

Post by ASX »

Seirex wrote:Hello I'm a software development student and I would like to get some experience working in a professional environment.
Hello and welcome!
Like ericbsd wrote, your contribution will be surely welcome. However I need to clarify that it doesn't qualify as working in a professional environment, working on a free software project is always done on a voluntary basis, usually in areas you will choose yourself depending on your attitude, inclination and available time.

a couple of hints:
- GhostBSD tools are written from ericbsd in python/GTK
- we have now a Redmine bug tracker (which is written in Ruby as you may know)
- testing is always welcome at any level
- graphics related contribution are also needed
- building and testing new ISOs (alpha and beta especially)
- other things, of course

Pick up what you like. ;)
Seirex

Post by Seirex »

Thank you for the quick replies :)
ASX

Post by ASX »

no need to say ... ask when you have doubts.

If you want to build test ISOs yourself, start here: https://github.com/GhostBSD/ghostbsd-build

also, you may meet us on IRC Freenode #ghostbsd and #ghostbsd-dev ... sometimes ...
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I could also recommended you to run GhostBSD at less in virtual machine, to see what could be improve and what you would like to see what is missing to your point of view.

More hint:

-The handbook is out of date
-The website need more content
-Since there is no native English on project the website suffer of bad English grammar.
-There is project that was started and never finish and might also need help on those
-To work on GhostBSD it self I will recommended you to learn Python, GTK and C.
-You'll need a GitHub account if you don't have one.

Myself I need relearn C, because there is a big project that I want to get done and I need better knowledge of C.

Also if you need more help with something related to development I would prefer you to ask on the developer part of the forum. This was those question would be available to other in the future.
ASX

Post by ASX »

ericbsd wrote: -Since there is no native English on project the website suffer of bad English grammar.
I didn't had the time to tell you that kraileth will take care of that, while he is no native Emglish speaker he had English teaching training at university. ;)
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

This is a good news.
Seirex

Post by Seirex »

I started to learn Gtk3 with ruby and oh my god it's really easy. I don't know why they don't teach this in school!
wb7odyfred

Re: Can I help? With English language?

Post by wb7odyfred »

Yes, my grammar is just as convoluted as the foreign language speakers. I have no excuse, english is my native language.
I have edited a couple pages in the Wiki, dealing with Network. Grahamperrin gave me some edits to place in the wiki english file. Thank you, Graham Perrin,

If you have a little time, can you read my NetWork link and help correct or improve the writing? I am still adding and improving the wiki post.

My problem is that FreeBSD networking automatically sets up and runs, but that "NetworkMgr" "Up / Down Arrow" icon in the upper right kde4 tray does not respond like it did before. Clicking on it gives two choices "Ethernet Network" grey out and "Enable Networking" white color. Clicking on "Enable Networking" does nothing at all? So you have any answers or comments on testing Python modules? Before when NetworkMgr did work, it would show the wifi access points from a wifi scan and allow you to select which access point to connect to. Left Mouse Click on that name, and NetworkMgr would connect to that access point.
I have to read and understand the NetworkMgr python code and execution to find out what broke or is misconfigured. Any test code hints you could pass below would help me understand what is working and operational in the python code. Do you use ps -ax. How about FreeBSD sockstat or netstat commands to study connections. Right to me NetworkMgr is just a black box that is not working. Where is NetworkMgr stalled in the code waiting for something X to happen? How does WifiMgr application interfere with the operation of NetworkMgr?
http://opal.com/freebsd/ports/net-mgmt/wifimgr/ Wifimgr source code
http://www.freshports.org/net-mgmt/wifimgr/ Fresh Ports wifimgr Ports and Pkg code

http://wiki.ghostbsd.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ#Network
http://wiki.ghostbsd.org/wiki/index.php ... anager_GUI

I did begin writing here from my level of a being new noob to FreeBSD and GhostBSD. That means not knowing the names of the command to execute to see which hardware is working in the computer system. Like pcconf -lv or usbconfig list or kldstat, kldload, kldunload or netstat -r . So I have most likely added too much information for a normal user and kind of cluttered the key information with many extra commands. Sorry, but when you are new, you don't have a procedure to follow or know the command names from the very beginning. After you have setup a network 4 or 5 times manually, then you establish your own self taught procedure.
HowTo setup Wifi Edimax EW-7811utn USB Dongle for GhostBSD 10.3 & 11.0
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=526

My point of view is like forum post question, "Getting Online"
I have been running GhostBSD MATE 10.1 and i couldn't get online. Would someone like to explain the procedure to a GhostBSD noob please. So, I added the steps I would take to understand my computer hardware setup and the 3 .CONF files to edit. Seems like I have left out the "netstat -r" command there. Will edit and add. Am I missing any other useful commands and options to understand network setup?
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=386

I am looking for your editorial critique to make the GhostBSD wiki better for a brand new noob user. I feel that the easier to setup and use, the more potential users stay around with GhostBSD.
EricBSD and other developers thank you for what you have created in GhostBSD. I chose it because it offered a Live USB operation with out installing for testing.
Fred Finster wb7odyfred