Update

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
hank2000

Re: Update

Post by hank2000 »

ok, it s NOT possible, only "full disk installation " works on my Asus netbook with one HDD and two partitions.
tried now:
1 primary and logical partition for Linux and BSD - "Installation failed" after about 10% copying!
2 primary partitions plus swap: "Installation failed" after 10% copying...
tried with Linux Mint and partition tool first, then BSD, then GhosBSD 10.3 first and THEN Linux Mint.... always same error!
So: full disk installation is the only choice???

best Achim
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Eh Achim could you try to give us a detailed description of how you are doing your partition?
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Eric

well I tried partitioning first with GhostBSD on a primary partition and formatted a second one with FAt32 to later host Linux Mint.
could install both systems but Grub did not work, it only started GhostBSD.
Then two times an installation with Linux Mint first and then GhostBSD on two seperate primary partitions and add. swap.
But guess I used the wrong file system with UFS and Grub!
now trying Linux Mint on 1st part. with sep. swap plus GhostBSD on 2nd primary partition with ZFS and Grub.
well, GRUB starts, tells me to keep left shift pressed, then "booting GhostBSD" and that s it again.
can t neither boot Linux Mint nor GhostBSD and have now 4 different versions tried:
1) full disk installation with GhostBSD: works!
2) two partitions with Linux + UFS+J (?) and GRUB (via Linux Mint partitioning (GParted?): does not work (BTW 10.3, not 11.0 PREALPHA), always getting "installation failed" and wants to send a report via Firefox on a non-existing network connection...
3) two partitions with one in ZFS and one in ext4 and GRUB: goes til "press left shift" and "booting GhostBSD" and stops
4) one primary partition and logical drives for Linux Mint, of course, no success as well (just trying in madness ;-) )

Now I will do a full disk installation again and keep that and try the 11 version on stick once again.
BTW: one Linux live stick and one "Icaros" live stick booting without problems. so it must be the copying with dd and GhostBSD that fails somewhere...

best
Achim
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

OK I will recommend you to not use ZFS for dual booting, also the installer does not support that. I recommend you to not install grub from GhostBSD, but use Linux Mint Grub, when I install dual boot of Linux and GhostBSD I always use Linux grub.
If you install GostBSD as second OS on the drive use auto, this will make it easier for you.
If you need help to setup GhostBSD in Linux grub let me now.
ASX

Post by ASX »

Best thing to do for dual booting is "chainloading" which means install a boot loader for each OS, only one can be installed on the MBR (say FreetBSD) and the other (Linux) should be installed on the linux partition.

Also, very often grub as provided from Linux distros doesn't include modules for UFS or ZFS, may need to add those modules (copying them from /usr/share/.... to /boot/grub/... ) or may even require to be recompiled. therefore in my opinion it is better to use GhostBSD grub to load both OSes, this always worked for me.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there

well, the ZFS option together with GRUB worked this time for installing the system, but as with Linux Mint on 1st partition and GhostBSD on second the GhostBSD GRUB boots, but only lets me choose GhostBSD alone, simple or with "enhanced boot options", no Linux available, but then NOTHING starts, not even GhostBSD, only a blinking cursor, that s it!
will try to re-install openSuse Linux 13.1 this evening andtry to INCLUDE GhostBSD then, if not, I ll stay with Ghost as full disk inst. for the moment! this works on the Asus!
then lets concentrate on getting the 11.0 PREALPHA stick booting and running first!
I still have my Linux/Win7 dual boot on this HP laptop for work. :D

best Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:Hi there

well, the ZFS option together with GRUB worked this time for installing the system, but as with Linux Mint on 1st partition and GhostBSD on second the GhostBSD GRUB boots, but only lets me choose GhostBSD alone, simple or with "enhanced boot options", no Linux available, but then NOTHING starts, not even GhostBSD, only a blinking cursor, that s it!
This is a good starting point to add a linux menuentry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg, either manually or automatically:
auto: try to use grub-mkconfig, should detect Linux install:

Code: Select all

grub-mkconfig > /tmp/grub.test
check the file /tmp/grub.test and look for an added Linux Mint entry, or post the content here.
If result look successful, make it the default grub config:

Code: Select all

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
manually: edit /boot/grub/grub-cfg and add a menuentry for your Linux mint, details depend on your partition layout, filesystem type, kernel and initramfs naming.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ok folks,

did a complete rerun now with first Fedora 20 Linux, then will try GhostBSD on 2nd partition I pre-formatted vfat and 90GB!
then if GRUB not automatically added both will try steps above...
one day will have success I m sure! LOL
but about Booting stick:
with the exact "dd" command used and a finished copying still have only the "GRUB" word and empty or only a blinking cursor and that s it!
is this i386-mate-version a 64bit or 32bit?
first one would explain the freeze as I accidentially started the 64bit Fedora and it froze same way....

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

i386 is 32bit, while amd64 is 64 bit.

Please consider that on some system (hp in my case) booting GRUB from USB took a long time ... more than 3/4 minutes .... but after that all worked well.

Also, after installation there is no boot delay using grub. It must be something specific to GRUB and some USB controller.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

hi there!

ok, I tried Fedora 20 first, then on sep. partition GhostBSD with UFS and the Ghost boot- and loader system! half through now, if it works, tog. with Eric´ s tipps earlier, cool. otherwise try again with fedora´ s Grub. then the stick again, but I tried on both netbooks for more than a minute.. that should keep goin then, or...?
best
Achim