GhostBSD theme for xfce

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
Hutch979

GhostBSD theme for xfce

Post by Hutch979 »

Hey guys, hope this finds you all well.

I had installed GhostBSD on my laptop, but sadly it turns out my wifi card is still not supported, so I would need to head back to the penguin. I use xfce on my other setup, and I just love the GhostBSD look. Any ideas on how I can replicate the whole GhostBSD theme on a fresh deb/xface install? Sorry if this is the wrong board to ask.
kraileth

Re: GhostBSD theme for xfce

Post by kraileth »

Hi Hutch979,

while I do not know too much about the Xfce themes, I have another suggestion for you. The current release of GhostBSD is build upon FreeBSD 10.3 which was released in April, I think. FreeBSD releases go through a series of alphas, betas and release candidates before they are published. So the actual code freeze (after which no new drivers can be imported) for this release happened somewhen early this year. Since then a lot has happened and chances are that your chip is supported in FreeBSD 11. GhostBSD's next release will be based on FreeBSD 11.0 but you don't have to wait for it. I've installed GhostBSD Enoch (10.3) on my main PC and then updated to 11.0. It is still running great! So if you'd prefer to stick with GhostBSD instead of turning to Linux again you might want to give that a try.

What wifi card does your machine have?
Hutch979

Post by Hutch979 »

I have a centrino wireless N 2230, which as it turns out is supported on the iwn4 (for freebsd 11.0 that is, not sure re 10.3), I just need to enable that in the kernel conf. Is that right?
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Hutch979 wrote:I have a centrino wireless N 2230, which as it turns out is supported on the iwn4 (for freebsd 11.0 that is, not sure re 10.3), I just need to enable that in the kernel conf. Is that right?
I would guess that you don't have to since customizing the kernel is getting a less and less frequent thing to do. The GENERIC kernel should support it via a loadable module. I don't have that hardware, but from doing a quick research on the net you could try to load the iwn2030fw.ko kernel module on an 11.0 system:

Code: Select all

# kldload iwn2030fw
If that does the trick, you can put the following into /boot/loader.conf to make it persistent:

if_iwn_load="YES"
iwn2030fw_load="YES"
I don't have any FreeBSD 10.3 system at hand to check but according to other users on the FreeBSD forums 10.3 is lacking this driver. So if you haven't updated your GhostBSD to 11.0 you could do that using:

# pkg upgrade -r 11.0-RELEASE
and following the instructions.
Last edited by kraileth on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hutch979

Post by Hutch979 »

I'll give these a shot. Many thanks for the help.