Installation ends with EXITERROR coping files

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD

Installation ends with EXITERROR coping files

Post by 5555624 »

I am trying to install GhostBSD on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-T7, with an Intel Core 2 Duo U7500 processor and Intel GMA X3100 graphics adaptor. The computer is currently running Windows 7 Professional and I am trying to install GhostBSD alongside it. I have a 34 GB primary partition, formatted NTFS, set aside for GhostBSD.

Using GhostBSD3.1-lxde-amd64.img, the installation fails. It starts fine and soon file names are scrolling by, but then it stops. The last lines are:

/mnt/fsmnt/var
3378870 blocks
EXITERROR: ERROR" Failed to copy files
For more details see log file: /tmp/pc-sysinstall/pc-sysinstall.log

The pop-up also appears, saying see "/tmp/pc-sysinstall/pc-sysinstall.log" but I can't find the file. There is no /tmp/pc-sysinstall directory, that I can see anywhere.

I've tried it a couple of times.

Trying it again, after reformatting the partition, I get the message, but it says "3886288 blocks" instead.

If I try it again, without reformatting the partition, it brings up an error that it cannot mount the volume.

Cannot mount volume.
Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.UnknownError

and the installation pauses, but then continues to end at the same point.

Thanks.

Re: Installation ends with EXITERROR coping files

Post by 5555624 »

After a number of tries and also trying the i386 version, I dropped back to version 2.5. It installed the first time. Trying to then install 3.1 over it resulted in the

Cannot mount volume.

error. Wiping the partition, I went back to 2.5. Later, I amy try going to 3.0 and then 3.1 again, if I can figure out something to tweak.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there,

have the same problems with 3.5 b3, no log-file, error message after installation screen opens, that freezes completely, no killing possible and happend with 3.0/3.1, too.
Only 2.5 works (with SAME configuration: two ntfs partitions and one freeBSD partition with UFS system!)
well, as long as I don t know exactly what I am doin I ll stay with 2.5,too!
Id love to do a dual-boot with Windows 7 and GhostBSD but only 2.5 allows me that it seems...

bye
hank
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

The log is in "/tmp/.pc-sysinstall/pc-sysinstall.log" and not in /tmp/pc-sysinstall/pc-sysinstall.log.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

@5555624
Cannot mount volume.
It is not related to the installation, this error appear because the installer mount partition and LXDE try to mount it to.

IF you see Hal error and the installer continue it will install.

It will be useful if you guys provide a detailed how to reproduce that error. I can't help if I have no detail to rerpoduce EXITERROR: ERROR" Failed to copy files. I have never run true a EXITERROR: ERROR" Failed to copy files when the installer is configure correctly.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

You re right, Eric, sorry!
as soon as the final 3.5 version is out I ll try a new installation and log the errors more properly, til then I am desperately trying to change a fat32 partition into a swap one!
hadn that so difficult in mind when using Linux... ;)
bsdkeith

Post by bsdkeith »

hank2000 wrote: I am desperately trying to change a fat32 partition into a swap one!
hadn that so difficult in mind when using Linux... ;)
If you mean you want to change a fat32 partition into a Linux swap partition, should be easy enough.
Make sure there is nothing that you want on it, make sure it is not mounted, as the root user or using sudo,

Code: Select all

umount /dev/<your-partition-here> 
then delete the line in your /etc/fstab file for that partition.
Then run as the root user or sudo :-

mkswap /dev/<your-partition-here> && swapon /dev/<your-partition-here>
That should give you your new swap partition.
To make it permanent you need to add it to /etc/fstab,

/dev/<your-partition-here>     none            swap    sw              0       0
next time you reboot it should get mounted automatically.
Linux user since 1999; & now a BSD user.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi eric,

errm, nope it is on GhostBSD and neither with fdisk or bsdlabel I was able to "hit" the right partition not to speak change the type and fs system... ;-)
but it is my playground with this netbook and i ll keep trying, as long as there are lots of FreeBSD docs on that! ;-)

hank :idea:
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

well,

the error messages keep comin like "Installation error. Installation has failed. please report to..."
but couldn t find the log file on the live system either, mazbe the errors come too fast!
but I ll try on a seperate harddisk on my desktop PC and let you know.

learned one thing for sure: never try to add a swap partition on BSD when you don t know what Ya doin, killed my system for the 3rd time in 24 hs but now i know how to set everything up within two hours. lol
got around the package dependecies thing with 9.0 now too a bit...
slowly, but it is growing on my Nokia netbook.... :-)

hank
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

BTW> swap partition: had a linux swap one turned into BSD one with sysinstall/label editor and just saved this change, but then when rebooted it said: no valid boot-/system partition found??

wondering, why my BSD boot partition went to nirvana as well...
but as You see: GhostBSD is on and running again :-)

hank