GhostBSD-11 testing the "test" repository

Open development discussions

Moderator: Developer

ASX

Re: GhostBSD-11 testing the "test" repository

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:I just did a fresh install on an old Dell I dusted off.
There was a problem with Octopkg when I changed to the GhostBSD test repo.
With this fresh install I didn't open octopkg until after I had changed repos from FreeBSD to GhostBSD and only then did I start octopkg.
I then tried to synchronise databases and I got this message;

Updating GhostBSD repository catalogue...
pkg: Repository GhostBSD load error: access repo file(/var/db/pkg/repo-GhostBSD.sqlite) failed: No such file or directory
You can consider this a warning if happens the first time you use the GhostBSD repo, it is in fact a database created and managed from pkg, one sqlite database for each repository.
Fetching meta.txz
Fetching packagesite.txz
Processing entries
GhostBSD repository update completed. 26573 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.

Command finished OK!

But I don't get any errors opening octopkg anymore.
Yep! Thnaks for your feedback :)
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

No worries. 8-) Thanks a million for all your work!

This was the error message I got before in full

"libharfbuzz.so.0" not found, required by "libpangocairo-1.0.so.0"

The upgrade I just did went fine except I couldn't login because of the above message. This was easily fixed by reinstalling harfbuzz.

Again I got the problem where I couldn't change folder icons. I deleted the file xfce-installed-settings which fixes it but when reinstalling breaks the system so
I'm doing a package reinstall which I hope fixes things. :)

Should have learned from my previous mistake. :oops:

Is there a fix for this icon problem?
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Is there a fix for this icon problem?
I suppose yes, it is all about to identify what is wrong with that package. :D

A start is (with the pkg xfce-installed-settings installed)

Code: Select all

pkg list xfce-installed-settings
That will give you the list of files provided by that package.

Then you should try to indentify which file is affecting your deskop:
tip: rename one of those files at a time, and log out / log in again, and see if the issue is solved

Once you have identified the file, look at its content (most likely a config file ...) and try to identify which is the setting that lead to the bad behavior.

At very least you should be able to have more detailed info, that you can post here.

Once you have the exact info about what is causing the issue, we can proceed to fix the package, and I guess you should be able to update the github repo yourself. ;)
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Thanks for the reply.
After not being able to get to the desktop I re-installed xfce-installed-settings and ran the command "pkg upgrade -r -f GhostBSD (I know I don't need GhostBSD in the command) and my computer's running great! 8-)
There is no problem with icons anymore, octopkg is fine even the update manager worked perfectly and updated my software and the reboot button worked fine. :mrgreen:
The only little quirk I found i that I put my downloaded cursor theme in .icons and it didn't show up in the settings so I'll follow your instructions and see what comes up. :D
Thanks again, ASX.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

A start is (with the pkg xfce-installed-settings installed)

Code: Select all
pkg list xfce-installed-settings

That will give you the list of files provided by that package.

Then you should try to indentify which file is affecting your deskop:
tip: rename one of those files at a time, and log out / log in again, and see if the issue is solved

Once you have identified the file, look at its content (most likely a config file ...) and try to identify which is the setting that lead to the bad behavior.
I suppose the same thing could be done with lightdm-gtk-greeter to see what causes the network problems.
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:
I suppose the same thing could be done with lightdm-gtk-greeter to see what causes the network problems.
Hmm ... probably not.
In the case of xfce-installed-settings, it is clear that the package contains "settings", and most likely one of them is troublesome.

About "netwoks problems" I would start to examine what type of problem actually is that:
- is the network interface up ?
- can we ping 'localhost' ?
- and so on ...

(my nose suggest me it could be something related to 'path' or 'privileges', ... but need to be investigated).
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I thought so. I took my laptop to work and tried to connect to the wireless network there and I couldn't. The networkmgr wouldn't run.
I disabled lightdm in rc.conf and enabled slim and I was able to search for the wireless network and connect easily.

Somehow lightdm interferes with networkmgr. Eric thinks it's something to do with fish.
Once you have the network up and running under slim and then you change to lightdm the network functions ok however.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Ignore what I said previously about the mouse icon quirk. I named the icons file in the home folder as ,icons not .icons. :oops:

I'll have to re-install on my laptop to recreate the icons problem now. ;)
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:I thought so. I took my laptop to work and tried to connect to the wireless network there and I couldn't. The networkmgr wouldn't run.
I disabled lightdm in rc.conf and enabled slim and I was able to search for the wireless network and connect easily.

Somehow lightdm interferes with networkmgr. Eric thinks it's something to do with fish.
Once you have the network up and running under slim and then you change to lightdm the network functions ok however.
Well, fish was the case where the PATH was not set correctly when used along with lightdm, thereby preventing binaries in some "sbin" to run at all.

You can eventually confirm, by (temporary) creating a new user, assign /bin/sh as default shell, and test with lightdm. If all will work, it would be definitely a fish issue.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I did just create a new user logged in with lightdm and using bin/sh and there was no change so it appears it isn't a fish problem.

If I run "ifconfig" I get

"sh: ifconfig: not found"

If I run networkmgr I get

/bin/sh: /bin/sh ifconfig: not found
/bin/sh sysctl: not found etc