MATE 1.18 ports is ready for testing.

Open development discussions

Moderator: Developer

ASX

Re: MATE 1.18 ports is ready for testing.

Post by ASX »

kraileth wrote:I've been using the new MATE for a while now and it works pretty well for the most part. When I rebuilt packages on my system using the latest ports (and substituting the old MATE for the new one again), the flashing panel tool tips are gone now. However there has been a regression: Glitches now appear on the desktop. It looks like it's not redrawn properly. When I draw boxes, those stay on the screen and will only go away when I move a window over the areas with the glitches. Here's a screenshot of it:
Usually this type of artifacts come from video driver issues (video-drivers, / mesa / ....) , which in fact has been recently updated. The fact that they go away when you move a window above is a confirmation that the screen image in memory is good, but at times it is not rendered properly.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I had the same problem until I removed all the package and reinstaling everything with synth. Not to forget that port tree is always behind.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ericbsd wrote:I had the same problem until I removed all the package and reinstaling everything with synth. Not to forget that port tree is always behind.
Ah, good to know. Do you know, too, what happens in case of the crashing mate-power-preferences? I think that's the last thing which is wrong with MATE 1.18 and if it could be solved (and no new problems creep up), the new version could be used in GhostBSD 11.0! That would be fantastic. :)
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

kraileth do you have problem with caja loading?
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ericbsd wrote:kraileth do you have problem with caja loading?
The filemanager? No that works pretty well for me. One thing that is broken is the "text preview" feature (previously the beginning of a text file's contents was displayed in the icon; now the icon of small text files is blank).
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I have a fresh install and Caja is not loading on the Desktop.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ericbsd wrote:I have a fresh install and Caja is not loading on the Desktop.
Hm! Nope, this is not happening for me. I have two GhostBSD systems that I upgraded to MATE 1.18: One started as 10.3 and was upgraded to 11.0 using freebsd-update, the other used an 11.0 ALPHA1 installation (and A LOT of patience...). On both systems Caja runs just fine. Oh, and they are real hardware, not VMs. Will try it out on another machine in the next few days if I find the time to do so.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I am talking about a FreeBSD machine​ that did not have anything installed.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ericbsd wrote:I am talking about a FreeBSD machine​ that did not have anything installed.
I see. In that case I'm going to try that out instead. Haven't installed MATE 1.18 on any vanilla FreeBSD system so far. Will report back here.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Ok, I erased an old Thinkpad X61s laptop and put a fresh install of FreeBSD 11.0 on there. Then I updated it using freebsd-update, installed and setup synth as well as ccache. As a next step I fetched current ports with portsnap, deleted all the old ports for MATE and put the new ones in their place.

I then built xorg-server, xf86-input-keyboard, xf86-input-mouse, xf86-video-vesa as well as xterm and xinit and made sure that X works. After that I used synth to build and install the all of mate.

Finally I made the required rc.conf changes to start dbus, etc., rebooted and launched a mate-session.

Caja works fine for me. Almost everything is like with my GhostBSD systems (i.e. mate-power-preferences crashes and dumps core). One thing that is different, though, is that the panel and all the pulldown menus look strange: There are no spaces between the various menus. The Caja one e.g. thus reads: "FileEditViewGoBookmarksHelp". Strange stuff. Also in the panel the background of all entries is gray and stays gray even if the mouse is over it, it doesn't change color to indicate that it's selected. A lot of other elements look strange, too, e.g. buttons in the shutdown dialog. Scrollbars are also missing. But I've seen things like that before (e.g. when building firefox or libreoffice with GTK+3 instead of GTK+2) and thus I think this has something to do with GTK+3. Other than that, things seem to work at first glance.