Developer

Re: New display manager for GhostBSD.

Post by ericbsd »

I have already did the setup.
angus71

Post by angus71 »

Hi kraileth,
the greeter looks fine to me, even when there are still not all functions available on BSD.
Nice to see work in progress... :D
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Nice work, kraileth! Just asking, but other than not being maintained, what's wrong with slim?
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Nice work, kraileth! Just asking, but other than not being maintained, what's wrong with slim?
Looks like Eric has actually done all the work, so don't thank me for it. ;)

What's wrong with SLiM? Well, a lot actually. Yes, it's unmaintained. But the more important thing is that it is severely lacking some features that a lot of people need. If you have a non-English keyboard, you cannot use the matching keymap. It does support sessions, but let's be honest: Cyling through those by pressing F1 is less than ideal. You cannot power down or restart the machine from the display manager. It doesn't show the current time. And some people prefer to click on their username instead of having to enter it. Also it doesn't cope with multi-monitor environments or high DPI screens, either. There's probably more but that's what I can tell you off the top of my head.
ASX

Post by ASX »

kraileth wrote:
NevilleGoddard wrote:Nice work, kraileth! Just asking, but other than not being maintained, what's wrong with slim?
Looks like Eric has actually done all the work, so don't thank me for it. ;)

What's wrong with SLiM? Well, a lot actually. Yes, it's unmaintained. But the more important thing is that it is severely lacking some features that a lot of people need. If you have a non-English keyboard, you cannot use the matching keymap. It does support sessions, but let's be honest: Cyling through those by pressing F1 is less than ideal. You cannot power down or restart the machine from the display manager. It doesn't show the current time. And some people prefer to click on their username instead of having to enter it. Also it doesn't cope with multi-monitor environments or high DPI screens, either. There's probably more but that's what I can tell you off the top of my head.
Who said that ?
type "halt" or "reboot" (and provide the root password) and it will do!

You need an emergency terminal, type "console". ;)
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ASX wrote:Who said that ?
type "halt" or "reboot" (and provide the root password) and it will do!

You need an emergency terminal, type "console". ;)
You're right, forgot the possibility of halting or rebooting that way. And I didn't know the console command. Still all of that is not extremely intuitive.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Also you can focus on your password when you login by editing the slim.conf file. I never enter my user name. :D I have actually dealt with the current FreeBSD maintainer. He's good. He actually fixed a bug for me in another package.
I log in with a Japanese keyboard OK.
I don't mind the change though. I'll probably like LightDM miuch better. ;)
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Also you can focus on your password when you login by editing the slim.conf file. I never enter my user name. :D
Since I'm sharing some of my computers with my wife, that's not really an option. And while I admit that it's a bit special, our situation is even more complex: We use different keymaps - my wife the standard national one, I an ergonomic variant (think something like dvorak). Not exactly what SLiM was meant to cover. ;)
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Just tried lightdm-greeter and it works like a charm out of the box. :D Apart from the required rc.conf editing of course.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I've found logout / login works much better now. It's also much faster than SLiM. The only thing that's different for me after using lightdm is my ethernet panel icon is no longer blue but grey. However internet is fine.