New display manager for GhostBSD.

Open development discussions

Moderator: Developer

ASX

Re: New display manager for GhostBSD.

Post by ASX »

kraileth wrote:Looks like somebody was desperate enough to patch it and port it over.
Yeah, we need more desperation! :D
The one thing that's not working is keymap selection:
We will work out that one, or anything else if needed, one by one, please go on! ;)
angus71

Post by angus71 »

Hi kraileth,
glad I could give some input! :lol:
Truth be told I nowadays still read some posts in the Linux-community; my main computer runs
GhostBSD (of course!! :mrgreen: ) but the my wifes computer runs Linux Mint and my small computer
runs Manjaro Linux-OpenRC; so there is a lot to read out there..
Looking at the screenshots of lightdm I think you are right; with some tweaking that could be good!!!
Go on! :D
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I never saw that LightDM was in ports that is perfect I will install it when I go home. I will probably replace slim with it.

That is great News.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Other than laguage_code everything works well!

It superior DM compare to GDM and SLIM, there will be tweaks to do, but this is the DM I was waiting for to come in ports.

Also angus71 mention about "Slick-greeter" I might look into that later. Slick-greeter looks really slick.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

angus71 I am the founder of this project and my still prefer Linux. I will be able to change her mine one day.
angus71

Post by angus71 »

Hey ericbsd,
GhostBSD is a REAL cool project and I very much appreciate the efforts of you and
ALL developers.
Looking forward to see LightDM in action! :D
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I have notice when I boot with Lightdm I can't use any of the super user software even in root I wonder if it is a bug or a setting missing.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Found on FreeBSD forum that env path /sbin is not loaded probably a bug.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Yea that is a problem with fish.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Lightdm can be configured in various ways. I just took a very quick look at what it can do. Right now there's only the gtk greeter in ports on FreeBSD. I'll take a look at the other greeters, too, and report back here. However chances are that the gtk greeter (it's also the default greeter) would be just fine for us.

The initial problem was only that the keyboard settings don't work. I found out that the same thing (empty menu) happens on Arch Linux when no locales were created. After I created some like en_US.UTF-8, the menu was populated correctly. FreeBSD's locales obviously work differently. Looks like lightdm cannot cope with this. In the long run we might have to patch it to make it work properly.

But for now I decided to simply disable this functionality - SLiM can't do this either and thus we wouldn't lose anything if we decided to switch. Honestly I'd like to make the switch for GhostBSD 11.0. Adjustments to the settings can always be made later but changing the display manager during the release cycle is probably not ideal.

Here are just three settings that I put into /usr/local/etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf:

Code: Select all

[greeter]
background=/usr/local/share/slim/themes/ghostbsd/background.png
indicators = ~host;~spacer;~clock;~spacer;~session;~a11y;~power
hide-user-image=true
The result may not be perfect but it's a start. It currently looks like this:
Attachments
lightdm_gbsd.png