switching base and building modes

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
ASX

switching base and building modes

Post by ASX »

Time to to face some decisions :D

Until now I though at switching base to trueos-core just like it was a sort of switch to freebsd-current, but I quick realized it is not so simple:

TrueOS base has implemented some improvement:
- libressl as default
- packaged freebsd base
- other

That means that some ports will need options set accordingly to those choices, and we can't simply use trueos-core + ghostbsd-packages, we would need at least the same options set, that's going to require lot of time.

At least for a start I'm inclined to use the TrueOS builders, with its own pro and cons, (I just need to just learn more about trueos before being truly able to make proper decisions).

The thing I don't like about trueos (more precisely about "Continous integration") is that we do not have a "fixed/stable environment, time wise," to be used to build ISOs concurrently, each of us on its own ...

Anyway, may be I have some pre-conceived idea and cannot see the exact benefits of "CI", therefore I would give it a try for a month or so.

If "CI" will work, that would be a good thing, because we will get increased overall testing from the whole TrueOS userbase, and at the same time it will unload us from most of the building workload.

The implication I see is that the ISOs should be always be built from a build-server, not locally, so that we can all use the same ISO when performing pre-release testing.

But, more important, while we might take advantage of trueos build infrastructure, I still want GhostBSD differentiated enough from TrueOS Desktop, and not only by a different DE, we should be able to make our own decisions about nearly all aspects of the OS, at least those things we can manage ourselves.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: switching base and building modes

Post by ericbsd »

That means that some ports will need options set accordingly to those choices, and we can't simply use trueos-core + ghostbsd-packages, we would need at least the same options set, that's going to require a lot of time.
Yeah, only our port that needs those we are going to use TrueOS freebsd-ports repository if we build our own pkg. All the heavy lifting will be done, and our port will be tested. For ports, it is not a big concern for me, but the rest is.
ASX

Post by ASX »

what are our alternatives ?

switching to freebsd12-current as an intermediate step ?

forget about TrueOS and keep our own route ?

fork the trueos github repos and build our own packages ?

I understood that by switching toTrueOS base we can get some benefit (drivers, etc ...) but it is clear we have to pay some "price" ;)

Again, for a start (and a one month test) I would go with using their CI model.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Switching to freebsd12-current as an intermediate step?
No, why that question?
Forget about TrueOS and keep our own route?
TrueOS Core is not TrueOS Desktop or TrueOS server. It is an effort to fork of FreeBSD. TrueOS is TrueOS Core + pkg on top. Kind like GhostBSD 11.1 is FreeBSD + pkg on top.

The freebsd-ports of TrueOS is all the ports from FreeBSD plus TrueOS ports and our ports.

GhostBSD could be the stable Core plus pkg build from TrueOS freebsd-ports repository, Or we can follow their release methods of stable and unstable.

Stable updates of pkg and base every 6 months unless of vulnerability and unstable every 2 weeks or so. If we do that way no need to have builders. I have access to trueos/freebsd-ports and Joe was saying that he could give access to anyone on trueos/freebsd-ports.
ASX

Post by ASX »

ericbsd wrote:TrueOS Core is not TrueOS Desktop or TrueOS server. It is an effort to fork of FreeBSD. TrueOS is TrueOS Core + pkg on top. Kind like GhostBSD 11.1 is FreeBSD + pkg on top.
Hmm ... thanks for clarifying ... asking me to install "latest_server" (based on unstable) led to some confusion.
The freebsd-ports of TrueOS is all the ports from FreeBSD plus TrueOS ports and our ports.
Ok, guess it means we can use that instead of fbsd-ports + our ports.
GhostBSD could be the stable Core plus pkg build from TrueOS freebsd-ports repository,
Yes, I would think this is what we are looking for, although not immediately.
TrueOS-core exists only in form of sources, not as installable image, right ?
Or we can follow their release methods of stable and unstable.

Stable updates of pkg and base every 6 months unless of vulnerability and unstable every 2 weeks or so. If we do that way no need to have builders. I have access to trueos/freebsd-ports and Joe was saying that he could give access to anyone on trueos/freebsd-ports.
yeah, understood that, and yes, eventually we would base our release on "stable".
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

TrueOS-core exists only in form of sources, not as installable image, right?
I think it can be downloaded from a build, we will need to ask Joe.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

There is https://download.trueos.org/master/amd64/dist/ but not sure if it is the base only.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

So, do I get this right? You're discussing the steps of changing our OS base to the TrueOS stable build and how to do it?

If the repo that Eric pointed at contains classical distribution tarballs for TrueOS core (which it looks like), those should be used in ghostbsd-build, right? The more complicated part would then be to setup a TrueOS server machine, build our ports there and then merge those with the TrueOS packages into a temporary package repo for ghostbsd-build to use. Afterwards we'll see if an ISO can be built and what issues we can find with that very first version.

At least that's what I'd try to do. I'm definitely looking forward to play with OpenRC on Ghost (yay for rc-status!) and to having LibreSSL in base! :D
ASX

Post by ASX »

kraileth wrote:So, do I get this right? You're discussing the steps of changing our OS base to the TrueOS stable build and how to do it?
Yes.

The question is more about the build model:
1) should we make use of TrueOS build capabilities and thus integrate our packages in their builder(s) ? packages are rebuilt as soon as they are modified and that is "Continous Integration";
we would need simply to change slightly our own ports, and will be less expensive in terms of our workload on the long run, it also benefit from a larger audience testing/feedback.
The drawback is that we need to stick with some option as set from TrueOS ... might be a source of conflicts.

2) Or should we simply copy/fork their sources (TrueOS-core) and add our own ports and make use of our own builders ?
I think this is the way to go on the long run, but not immediately.
If the repo that Eric pointed at contains classical distribution tarballs for TrueOS core (which it looks like), those should be used in ghostbsd-build, right? The more complicated part would then be to setup a TrueOS server machine, build our ports there and then merge those with the TrueOS packages into a temporary package repo for ghostbsd-build to use. Afterwards we'll see if an ISO can be built and what issues we can find with that very first version.

At least that's what I'd try to do. I'm definitely looking forward to play with OpenRC on Ghost (yay for rc-status!) and to having LibreSSL in base! :D
I guess that ericbsd (and jmaloney) already worked out, or they are close to, the new ghostbsd-build. ;)