Google AdSense

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
ericbsd
Developer

Google AdSense

Post by ericbsd »

Eh since donation is stating to be more stable should we remove AdSense?

I do not find ads really beneficial, since we rarely get more then 30$ in a month, but if we get more traffic that might change.
ASX

Re: Google AdSense

Post by ASX »

ericbsd wrote:Eh since donation is stating to be more stable should we remove AdSense?

I do not find ads really beneficial, since we rarely get more then 30$ in a month, but if we get more traffic that might change.
I would say leave it for now ... I didn't have found the ads too much invasive so far ... and of course I guess we will have more traffic soon. ;)
ASX

Post by ASX »

now, if google adsense can help to have a new SDD ... that would be good! :D
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=598#p2938
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

I also didn't find it too much of a hassle. And since you're being very transparent with money for GhostBSD I think people can see that it is being spent for good things. Once there's a reasonable financial buffer turning it off might make sense (pun intended). You can always do it, no need to do it right away. Or did anybody complain about the ads so far?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

No that was just a thought.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I am revisiting this because AdSense in not a viable income and since to have the money we have to wait that we have over $100 which take months and Patreon get us a stable 110 USD per month for now. Soon as 11.1 is release I will make a change on the download page that will be similar to Ubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and Elementary.

By the amount of money that ads give US it does not help much, but yea I am not the only one on the project.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

The ads have never annoyed me with GhostBSD, so I don't really care whether they are there or not. But if they actually barely serve any purpose for us - let's get rid of them. If they don't really create as much revenue to make them worthwhile to keep, they are useless, anyway.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

The ads don't bother me at all. I think leave them.
By the way would an NVMe disk work better than an SSD? Or are they too expensive?
They're almost the same price here in Japan.
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:By the way would an NVMe disk work better than an SSD? Or are they too expensive?
They're almost the same price here in Japan.
it depend on your workload: NVMe are connected directly to the PCIE bus and are capable of much faster transfer rates than SATA SSDs, but the improved performance come at price of increased CPU usage.

We have tested NVME disks on a OVH server, configured as disk alone and as ZFS stripe (RAID-0) reaching a transfer rate of respectively 1000 and 1500 MB/s, (a decent SATA SSD goes around 500 MB/s), but the increased transfer rate didn't improved our builder throughput.

If you are using a database application. with low/medium CPU load and high amount of data I/O, probably overall performance will increase a lot.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Thanks.
I also heard that NVMe disks can get very hot. SSDs are probably better.