GhostBSD11-Some Ideas

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
NevilleGoddard
Developer

GhostBSD11-Some Ideas

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I thought I would write a few things about GhostBSD and the upcoming GhostBSD11 in particular and also my role in this project.
Since I cannot write any code (yet!) I think I should concentrate on what I can contribute most to GhostBSD. Since I'm the only native English speaker I should contribute more to the wiki, particularly the Handbook. I'll write a few more "how to" posts also in the forums.
GhostBSD is a great OS and there is actually not much I want changed. That's the reason I'm using it. As I've said many times before, you are all doing a great job.
One thing that needs changing I think for version 11 is the look i.e. new icons and perhaps an additional dark theme. I don't know if anyone has put any thought into this or if a new theme has already been selected. I personally think that themes and appearances of windows etc. in a desktop should be as consistent as possible. There is the Ghomix theme already which is great but I think a dark theme is also needed. I've found a dark theme called Ambiance-Blackout-Colors-16.04-1-LTS-GTK3-3-18Theme. This is a very professional looking theme that works with catfish and document viewer giving them both a dark look whereas xfce4-dusk theme didn't.
The only problem is that while testing it I discovered that in firefox, inputting text in some search fields, the text would be a light grey colour, almost invisible. This is a firefox bug.
I fixed this by creating the directory ./mozilla/firefox/xxxxxdefault/chrome/userContent.css and copying some code into the css file. Now everything is fixed.
I also found a rather attractive icon set called Vivacious-Colors-GTK-Icon-Theme-v-1.4. Perhaps these icons could be used.
Perhaps a right-click search files custom action should also be included by default.
Perhaps this is not so important but I feel that GhostBSD should look as good as it runs! ;)
If I think of anything else I'll post it here.
Any suggestions for how I can help in other ways would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Keith
ericbsd
Developer

Re: GhostBSD11-Some Ideas

Post by ericbsd »

I think I would look that this for 11.1
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Looking at all this it could be a good idea to move to those theme before the release.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Thanks ericbsd. This is the code to fix up the unreadable input fields in some sites if this dark theme is used:

input:not(.urlbar-input):not(.textbox-input):not(.form-control):not([type='checkbox']) {
-moz-appearance: none !important;
background-color: white;
color: black;
}

#downloads-indicator-counter {
color: white;
}

textarea {
}

select {
}

If this is put in ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxx.default/chrome/userContent.css

this fixes the font color problem.

Alternatively the extension " Text Contrast for Dark Themes" extension seems to work well too.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I did not had that problem.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Did you try it in xfce or MATE? In my xfce machine, on some websites input fields just looked white or the font colors were very light grey in firefox.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Mate 1.18
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

It must be an xfce problem.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Is GTK3.18 themes supported​ on XFCE?
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I think so. In octopkg there is gtk3. The version is 3.18.8_4. The doucument viewer in xfce4 looks fine with the dark theme.