Repository server status?

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Repository server status?

Post by ericbsd »

OK I think it is now clear, I did wrote something but lost it when my work laptop crashed.

i will not rewrote this because all is clear now, OK from here I have a couple option, since the machine me and ASX want is not available right now.

But there is couple temporary solution the is similar machine to our web server available but there is also this https://www.ovh.com/ca/en/dedicated-servers/hosting/ and on the HOST-32L it is possible to add 2 SSD of 480GB with the 2 HDD fo 2TB for an additional of 24CAD and there is more option and it is all brain new Machine and it look to be week and monthly bases contract.

I want your opinion guys.

Note that I might be able to go over 150CAD for a machine our finance is growing bit per bit up ever week.
ASX

Post by ASX »

ericbsd wrote:OK I think it is now clear, I did wrote something but lost it when my work laptop crashed.

i will not rewrote this because all is clear now, OK from here I have a couple option, since the machine me and ASX want is not available right now.

But there is couple temporary solution the is similar machine to our web server available but there is also this https://www.ovh.com/ca/en/dedicated-servers/hosting/ and on the HOST-32L it is possible to add 2 SSD of 480GB with the 2 HDD fo 2TB for an additional of 24CAD and there is more option and it is all brain new Machine and it look to be week and monthly bases contract.

I want your opinion guys.

Note that I might be able to go over 150CAD for a machine our finance is growing bit per bit up ever week.
Hmm ... the Xeon D 1520 (HOST32L) is less powerful than the E3-1245 we have on the webserver, approx 25%, less, therefore I would start with a machine similar to the webserver and upgrade later as needed.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ericbsd wrote:i will not rewrote this because all is clear now, OK from here I have a couple option, since the machine me and ASX want is not available right now.
What would be the preferred option that is not available right now? Just curious.
You cannot really go wrong with a monthly contract, I guess. Also 32 GB DDR4 RAM also sounds very (!) nice - 2133 MHz is quite fast and I would assume this to make quite a difference for package building. The SSDs might also come in handy - but in a temporary machine?
That's a great trend! :D
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

ASX made is choice by the base of the cpu and he did prefer to go with the soyoustart option.
ASX

Post by ASX »

kraileth, the E5-SATx are all not available right now ...

https://www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/essential-servers/

and specifically this one: https://www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/offers/e5-sat-2.xml
ASX

Post by ASX »

The new SoYouStart server is up and running.
Right now running synth to reconstruct the ccaches and distfiles.

kraileth, you have PM.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ASX wrote:The new SoYouStart server is up and running.
Right now running synth to reconstruct the ccaches and distfiles.

kraileth, you have PM.
Thanks! I'll have a look at it on the weekend.
ASX

Post by ASX »

ericbsd wrote:ASX What would do significant improvement for building pkg?
I don't have a definitive answer, however I'm continuing to collect info, and at least now I have a better view of the picture, and one thing is now clear:

while using the current CPU (Xeon E3-1245 v2, 4 cores / 8 threads) doesn't make much sense to exceed the 32 GB RAM;

Yes, I was able to make it swap out when using 24 parallel builders, (up to 11 GB swap), but that was probably less than 2% ~ 3% of the total build time, and it is not an optimal configuration, less builders perfrom a little better.

Therefore whenever we will consider an upgrade, we should upgrade both CPU and RAM, as "rule" I would say 4 GB RAM for each logical "core".
4 core - 8 threads -> 32 GB RAM
6 core - 12 threads -> 48 GB RAM
8 core - 16 threads -> 64 GB RAM

That at least for "first repository build", when ccache is non-existent.
I would expect that upon rebuild more RAM would be useful (due to less CPU load), and I'll report about that case later.