X server issues and ports

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
ericbsd
Developer

Re: X server issues and ports

Post by ericbsd »

That answer most of the problem that need to be overcome.

There is an other thing, I don't want to skip the opportunity to have a sever that someone can have access to, but there is an other thing the price could be a problem. Also looking at all the option we could have problem to have the perfect hardware to achieve this. Right now it is my main concern.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Form the list of https://www.ovh.com/ca/en/dedicated-servers/ it is possible to get something custom from them, but SoYouStart will not offer that custom. At that Price I am willing to wait on kraileth even if it take time,

Eh kraileth I hope you kid will go well soon.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ericbsd wrote:Eh kraileth I hope you kid will go well soon.
Thanks! I hope that after the weekend things will be back to normal.

Oh, and Eric, you haven't said anything about the server documentation, yet (or I missed it). What do you think about this? I'm going to open another thread on infrastructure to discuss those things there (and I really want to get this sorted out; currently the main OS on the Canadian server needs updates but I'm definitely not going to reboot the machine before I know more about what it does!).
ASX

Post by ASX »

kraileth wrote:currently the main OS on the Canadian server needs updates but I'm definitely not going to reboot the machine before I know more about what it does!).
Indeed! rebooting for itself is not a problem, other than I'm currently building pkgs for test and to get some definitive data about storage requirements.

But, most important, we need to have backup before to apply updates.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I don't know what you think guys, but I think only the jail be backup. The rest is easy to install in no time, basically the jail only depend easy-jail.

ASX for your test could it be better to have a dedicated machine for that? I could have a temporary machine when I get home. With out fearing a to cause problem on the web server.
ASX

Post by ASX »

ericbsd wrote:I don't know what you think guys, but I think only the jail be backup. The rest is easy to install in no time, basically the jail only depend easy-jail.
easy to install in no time ... but only when we have proper documentation: IP addresses, network config, ssh keys, partition layout and more ;)
ASX for your test could it be better to have a dedicated machine for that? I could have a temporary machine when I get home. With out fearing a to cause problem on the web server.
hmm ... it took a while to build up a decent ccache (16 GB right now) ... I would prefer to continue on the same server unless you are offering me an SSD based machine. :D :mrgreen:

BTW, don't fear, I will not overload the server, the largest package (chromium) will use 8 GB RAM, and maximum are 3 builder (so, 24 GB in theory).