Sub forums for the desktops

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
kraileth

Sub forums for the desktops

Post by kraileth »

User Cybermax wrote me a PM, asking if it would be a good idea to dedicate a part of the forum to the MATE DE and have the project site (http://mate-desktop.org/community/) link to us.

I first wanted to tell him that there's already a corner for the various desktops, but then I noticed that they are gone. Have those recently been removed? I remember that there were sub forums for MATE, Xfce, Openbox, KDE and even the old Gnome. What has happened to them (and the posts in them)?

What do you think, would it make sense to bring MATE and Xfce back and try to become the semi "official" place for MATE on FreeBSD? That would mean another chance for people to learn of GhostBSD's existence. People can read on the MATE site that the DE is available for FreeBSD, too. I don't know if too many users try it out since that would mean to at least setup a VM, install X11 and then MATE, which - let's face it - is not that simple to do on FreeBSD if you only know Linux. We on the other hand have live media that allow to simply boot into a BSD system with a beautiful MATE desktop. This could help to attract some more users (or at least inform people that there's a FreeBSD that comes with MATE out of the box).
ASX

Re: Sub forums for the desktops

Post by ASX »

Honestly I don't recall about those sections, may be they was ... not sure ... ericbsd ?

Anyway, the problem with DE specific sections is about classifying the posts, users usually mix up the things, e.g. they are not able to discriminate between a system wide issue from a DE specific issue, That can be managed with some additional moderating effort, like moving threads were appropriate.

All in all, I have nothing against that idea, also nothing pro, fact is that until not long ago the forum was mostly idle, therefore the problem didn't existed at all.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I did move all post, and remove those forum, because I thought there was no need for this, but I might be wrong on that one. Not only that thought that the forums was clustered of forums.

I could add Desktop on Support and add Mate, XFCE, and others under Desktop.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Oh I did look and those forums has no Mate forums on theme, I don't thing it is necessary, also I consider mate to be the official DE of GhostBSD.