Compiling GhostBSD Error

Discuss of development of the GhostBSD tools.

Moderator: Developer

ericbsd
Developer

Re: Compiling GhostBSD Error

Post by ericbsd »

I did some XFCE build and test them in Virtual Box and it seem that there is a bug in the notification area. I have notice that networkmgr process was running and I did stop it and start Gnome-MPlayer and the icon did not show in the tray and I did start networkmgr the icon did show, but when I did close mplayer and the icon of networkmgr did hide.

But on my ThinkPad T530 everything was fine. This will need more investigation.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I noticed there was no networkmgr icon also. Only the greyed out arrows for ethernet. But it worked fine. I also noticed on the old image of PREALPHA4 xfce there may be a thunar bug. I tried to copy the iso I made to a usb stick and it would copy the first 13mb then the file manager would crash. On the plus side the live usb seems much faster than Enoch.

One other problem with wifi was than it would cause my system to hang on reboot. This is not a GhostBSD bug, but a FreeBSD bug. In Enoch 10.3 there was no hang on reboot, but there was on FreeBSD 10, 11 and FreeBSD 12. I don't know why it happens and I googled it and nobody else seems to have this problem :x When there is an ethernet connection but no wifi configured there is no problem, but as soon as I configure wifi it happens. If I do a fresh install, configuring wifi during install (with FreeBSD) it still hangs on reboot. There was no problem with Xubuntu.

Is there any way to debug this?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

If you get this problem on FreeBSD, you should go on the FreeBSD forums to see if there is a fix or way to debug.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I did some modification on XFCE with new application menu. anytime you want to compile to try you can make sure to update the git repository.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

OK. I'll compile a new image. I'll now a fresh install of PREALPHA4 and follow the instructions you gave me before.

About the reboot problem, I have the problem on FreeBSD but not on Enoch (10.3) it's fine. But on GhostBSD11-PREALPHA, the problem comes back again for some reason. I'll wait until the final production version comes out and see what happens. Last night I installed FreeBSD and did not install any desktop and there was a reboot hang, so it's not a dbus or xfce problem. When I reboot everything seems to shutdown OK but and right at the end of shutting down and starting again nothing happens and the DVD just spins. Perhaps the wpa supplicant or something else is not shutting down properly.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

ericbsd wrote:I did some modification on XFCE with new application menu. anytime you want to compile to try you can make sure to update the git repository.
Will the command "git pull master" update the git repository?
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Have just finished compiling new iso image. Will try it out tomorrow. No errors.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I just made a live usb and everything works great. Thanks, ericbsd. I like the new applications menu. :D Needs the GhostBSD icon. :lol: Also wi-fi icon is working and no need to run networkmgr. Will install tomorrow. ;)
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Thank you very much for building and testing, this project need most right now. I will change the menu icon tonight.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

No worries. On the contrary thank you for all your work.

1. Anything else I can do to help?

2. Oh, Can I upgrade from PREALPHA4 to GhostBSD11 through the Update Station when GhostBSD is ready?