Login

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
slughorn

Login

Post by slughorn »

Today I installed GhostBSD 10.3. as a virtual machine on virtualbox.
During installation I changed my keyboard layout to German.
After restart I could not login.
I got the same issue as in this bug report: http://issues.ghostbsd.org/issues/52
With the first installation within virtualbox I used a passwort string with a mix of special characters, letters and numbers.
After my third try I used only letters and I could login.
Could it be, that the login window (display manager) only works with an English or other keyboard layout?
ASX

Re: Login

Post by ASX »

slughorn wrote:Could it be, that the login window (display manager) only works with an English or other keyboard layout?
hi and welcome,

yes, could be ... slim is not a full featured display manager.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Just for the record: Yes, SLiM assumes the US keymap. Unless you used charecters exclusive to the German keymap (e.g. §), you should be able to log in if you take a look at where the keys are on US keyboards. Once you complete the login, though, your desktop will have the German keymap that you selected.

Some work was done to replace SLiM with LightDM for the coming release. But there were issues found and thus we're unfortunately stuck with SLiM for now.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi,

as with two previous installations I had login probs,too but found another issue on FreeBSD forums concerning a missing 'xinitrc' file in "normal user" directories.
I tried with 'german-at' as well as 'english-US' keyboard layouts with same behaviour:
could only login with "root" but NOT with normal user! You could see it tried to login then got back to login screen.
Still installing on USB stick, I tried a 3rd installation after reading that issue and then wanted to hopefully copy and adjust a 'xinitrc' file to my user directory but suddenly I COULD login with user details, strange, but is this missing 'xinitrc' issue a problem on GhostBSD,too, as it is still close to FreeBSD?

best
Achim
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

.xinitrc is supposed to be there.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Eric
ericbsd wrote:.xinitrc is supposed to be there.
strange, then I had another strange encounter while installing GhostBSD 11.1.
Found out, there are Libre Office, GIMP AND other packages available again but Padre is gone!
Can You tell me, what s the reason that OctoPKG has now so diff. availability in packages compared to (FreeBSD-)10.3-based earlier versions?
Except for the wlan subject everything would ve been ok for me, but after I completed Linux 98% now it would be hard to decide to switch dual boot to GhostBSD AGAIN and I don t know what obstacles could come up now as well.
So, I ll try with my external disk further and hope, it continues smoothly.
But that strange login-/Slim behaviour made me unsure again to put ghost on my main harddrive...
I spent a whole week all together to put up a stable working system with Win10&GhostBSD but wasn t successful!?

best
Achim